Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing 4” canless lights in my soffit on my own house. And I have posted on here prior about it but it was a few years ago and I cannot find the post. I want to know should I do over the windows centered or in between? I’m going to show locations I think will look the best but want some opinions before I start cutting holes in soffit. Ones by door will be under porch. All others in soffit.
Plant Sky Flower Window Cloud

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,111 Posts
Only you can answer this question. We do not know the photo metrics of the chosen fixtures.
Worse what is your intent? Are you trying to highlight or just make you home look like a business? Where I live we have a Dark Sky Ordinance. Exterior lighting is discouraged and can be a fine if you ignore the rules.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,704 Posts
I think over the windows would look strange. My opinion.

Where I live we have a Dark Sky Ordinance. Exterior lighting is discouraged and can be a fine if you ignore the rules.
Land of the free, huh? Free to do as you're told.

·
Super Moderator
Florida, USA
8,582 Posts

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
160 Posts
Not over the windows.
Where you have them looks very good. I do a lot of these. My customers love them with a very soft glow. They're not for lighting a walkway. Just to enhance the house at night.
3-5 hours we'd have them installed and looking good.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Not over the windows.
Where you have them looks very good. I do a lot of these. My customers love them with a very soft glow. They're not for lighting a walkway. Just to enhance the house at night.
3-5 hours we'd have them installed and looking good.
3-5 hours and you’d have all the lights in that picture installed?

With a job like this, it could easily take me up to 1-2 hrs just to get all my lights laid out the way I want. I dont like mistakes. Especially when your drilling 4-6” holes. Pretty sure there’s lights around the side and the back too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only lights I have planned for the side and the back are 4- 4” gimbals above the garages following the gable end and three regular in the soffit on the back deck area. Three separate switch legs hooked up to WiFi switches. House should look amazing when all done. I’ll post pictures as it’s completed. Thank you guys so much for the input!

·
Registered
160 Posts
3-5 hours and you’d have all the lights in that picture installed?

With a job like this, it could easily take me up to 1-2 hrs just to get all my lights laid out the way I want. I dont like mistakes. Especially when your drilling 4-6” holes. Pretty sure there’s lights around the side and the back too.
Yes, and a wall switch. I'm just stating the ones in the pic. He's already got them laid out. Just center them. Use the L wire method to make sure you don't hit a Joice. I've got a helper of course. He's young, skinny and fast in attics.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Yes, and a wall switch. I'm just stating the ones in the pic. He's already got them laid out. Just center them. Use the L wire method to make sure you don't hit a Joice. I've got a helper of course. He's young, skinny and fast in attics.
Dang. That’s pretty fast.

I dont worries about hitting joists anymore, now that wafer lights are so popular. But there’s no way I could have everything drilled out, wires fished, switch installed and lights wired up in that amount of time. Even with a good helper I’d be at least 8-10hrs easy. It would be dark by the time we left.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dang. That’s pretty fast.

I dont worries about hitting joists anymore, now that wafer lights are so popular. But there’s no way I could have everything drilled out, wires fished, switch installed and lights wired up in that amount of time. Even with a good helper I’d be at least 8-10hrs easy. It would be dark by the time we left.
I'm basing it on a house we just finished. Had twice that many lights we rolled on thru them very quick. I was surprised. Felt guilty charging so much.
I always tell customers to get to the switch or lights when fishing wires ''we may have to cut walls''. We try not to. But I'm not going to sit in one spot fishing wires for more then 5-10 minutes. Usually I can look at it and tell whether or not to even attempt fishing it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I'd try the three in the upstairs and see how you like that, First!
You will have some double illumination on the porch to the front yard.
Besides all that lights a nothing more than a insect magnet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts