Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for taking time to read my post. We are looking to expand our field service work to at least one or 2 more trucks and I am reviewing software that might help manage the processes. I know there are many options for this. Does anyone have experience with these? Pros? Cons?

Features I am wishing for are:
GPS tracking of trucks
Work Order management
Customer sign off
Payment acceptance
Job scheduling
Customer notifications

I am sure there are more, but these are the main ones. I am just starting to think about how to control the field work and workers. Right now my hubby is the main electrician in the field, so I don't have to manage him (that much) :glasses:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have yet to find an all in 1 software that does everything well. At least not for less than a vehicle payment per tech.

The best you can do is find something easy and reliable. Then compromise, add on, and find work arounds for the rest.

Such as 1 program for the invoice, 1 for GPS tracking, something for the books, another to capture signatures, etc.

For GPS most of the invoice programs use the techs cell phone or a tablet with GPS. Other options are truck tracking GPS. Think there is also asset GPS tracking systems out there.

Some of the big fails of programs out there are:
Doesn't do well with bill to and different job location such as GC and job location.
Poor search function such as a customer John Mills can only be found under John & not Mills.
Labels customer address as shipping address.
Does not let you enter 1 time items.
Does not let the tech adjust prices or correct invoice.
Re-entering the same data.
Hard to navigate & learn.
The defaults are not adjustable, such as automatically printing Due Net 30.
Loosing data.
Forcing you to fill out every blank like email.
Making you choose state from a drop down list on every address.
Has no user restrictions that can be set.

Some of the better ones have an address check and prediction feature same as / part of google maps. Where others are just a blank that could careless if the address is 123 %%jll8 St.

Spell check is also a good feature.

Let me know who you go with.

Aptiva Bella FSM Field Service Management Brilliant Database Call of Service Canvas Software Desco Esc Emaint X3 Field Aware Field EZ Field Force Tracker Field Promax Field Squared File Maker Filemaker Fleetmetrics Form Connect Freshbooks Furgus House Call Pro Invoice ASAP Invoice Machine Job Logic Jobber Jobi Joist Kick Serv M Help Mind Your Service MPengo My Task Helper My Visual Database Next Minute Orical Cloud Service PDF Export - Captures signature Penta Technologies Profit Rhino Pronto Forms Quick Base Quickbooks Ragic Rational Database Razor Sync Schedule Flow Scheduling Manager Send A Job Service Auto Pilot Service Box Service Bridge Service CEO Service Fusion Service Man Service Pro MSI Service Trade Commercial Sim Pro Sim Pro Software Sky Boss Smart Service Soffrend Foundation 3000 Speed Base Pro Speedbase Wintec Work Cite Work Flow Work Flow Max Xero Zoho Creator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aptiva Bella FSM Field Service Management Brilliant Database Call of Service Canvas Software Desco Esc Emaint X3 Field Aware Field EZ Field Force Tracker Field Promax Field Squared File Maker Filemaker Fleetmetrics Form Connect Freshbooks Furgus House Call Pro Invoice ASAP Invoice Machine Job Logic Jobber Jobi Joist Kick Serv M Help Mind Your Service MPengo My Task Helper My Visual Database Next Minute Orical Cloud Service PDF Export - Captures signature Penta Technologies Profit Rhino Pronto Forms Quick Base Quickbooks Ragic Rational Database Razor Sync Schedule Flow Scheduling Manager Send A Job Service Auto Pilot Service Box Service Bridge Service CEO Service Fusion Service Man Service Pro MSI Service Trade Commercial Sim Pro Sim Pro Software Sky Boss Smart Service Soffrend Foundation 3000 Speed Base Pro Speedbase Wintec Work Cite Work Flow Work Flow Max Xero Zoho Creator
Yup Active1, there are a ton of choices. This is why I am asking if anyone has personal experience with one they recommend. :smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Joist

I've been using Joist (joistapp.com) for a couple years or more. Very, very simple. But it's been free, and it has done all I've needed - professional looking estimates and invoices, electronic signatures, client contact list, etc. They have added features that I haven't even used yet, like accepting credit cards and syncing with QuickBooks. It's about perfect for the small guy starting out, which is exactly what I've been.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I've been using Joist (joistapp.com) for a couple years or more. Very, very simple. But it's been free, and it has done all I've needed - professional looking estimates and invoices, electronic signatures, client contact list, etc. They have added features that I haven't even used yet, like accepting credit cards and syncing with QuickBooks. It's about perfect for the small guy starting out, which is exactly what I've been.
Welcome to the forum xnuke.

Did you used to work in a silo (ref your handle) up there in ND?

I used to work in avionics engineering on the team that built the guidance systems as well as the nose cone detonators. A very long time ago. Those were the days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the forum xnuke.

Did you used to work in a silo (ref your handle) up there in ND?

I used to work in avionics engineering on the team that built the guidance systems as well as the nose cone detonators. A very long time ago. Those were the days.
Thank you

No, I didn't work in ND, but I did spend time around missile silos. I went through the Navy Nuclear Power program and was stationed on a Trident sub for a few years. That was a while ago, I got out in '94.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Thank you

No, I didn't work in ND, but I did spend time around missile silos. I went through the Navy Nuclear Power program and was stationed on a Trident sub for a few years. That was a while ago, I got out in '94.

Hmm, Boomer guys. LOL. Do you miss having a 2nd crew?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmm, Boomer guys. LOL. Do you miss having a 2nd crew?
A 2nd crew is nice, but doesn't completely compensate for leaving home 70+ days at a time with no communication, sketchy food and scratchy toilet paper.
I've never wanted to go back. Even for the 2nd crew.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
A 2nd crew is nice, but doesn't completely compensate for leaving home 70+ days at a time with no communication, sketchy food and scratchy toilet paper.
I've never wanted to go back. Even for the 2nd crew.
I did 342 consecutive days submerged. :sad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did 342 consecutive days submerged. :sad:
That's hard even for me to wrap my head around!
Some of my friends had come from fast-attacks too, and were on West-Pacs like that. I don't think I could have handled it.
Actually... just to keep it real, I couldn't have handled it at all.
(That's kinda why my handle starts with an 'x'.)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That's hard even for me to wrap my head around!
Some of my friends had come from fast-attacks too, and were on West-Pacs like that. I don't think I could have handled it.
Actually... just to keep it real, I couldn't have handled it at all.
(That's kinda why my handle starts with an 'x'.)
Spook boat:wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm using FieldPulse. It has all of that, it's easy to use, and I really like their customer support.
It says that it "starts at $20/mo", and additional users for $10/mo. Do you pay more than that, or does that cover all the features you need?

That's not very expensive, really. The last thing I need right now is another ongoing payment to have to make though. Joist is free, so that covers estimates/invoices. Google Calendar is free, so that covers scheduling. What is there that makes it worth paying for? At least, in the case of a one-man show or a two-man partnership?

·
Premium Member
19,734 Posts
We used Fleetmatics for a while and only dropped it as we moved into more jobs and less service work.
It was about $175 per month with 4users.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It says that it "starts at $20/mo", and additional users for $10/mo. Do you pay more than that, or does that cover all the features you need?

That's not very expensive, really. The last thing I need right now is another ongoing payment to have to make though. Joist is free, so that covers estimates/invoices. Google Calendar is free, so that covers scheduling. What is there that makes it worth paying for? At least, in the case of a one-man show or a two-man partnership?
I pay the base price of $20 and then $10 per employee (so they can get notifications of jobs and add notes to customer profiles on their phones). Honestly, the $20 is worth it for features like the customer management stuff, invoicing, and mobile payments.

It's easier to schedule and view jobs than Google calendar, you get more control over what you can keep track of and customize than Joist, and you can put everything in one place so you're not using Hubspot, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Joist, and a bunch of other apps.

It's also really easy to use, its mobile app works just as well as its desktop app, you can keep a database of costs for quotes and pull from that, you can automate and customize emails and text messages to go out to confirm jobs and give customers status updates, you can make invoices on the spot, let customers sign them, take payments, and then email them the invoice right there.

Then if you have a bigger team, it has some of the best scheduling software I've seen. There's stuff like GPS tracking so you can assign people to jobs nearby, you can assign people to customers they've worked with before, employees can clock in and out.

The customer profiles are really good, too. You can attach notes, pics, and keep status updates there. You don't have to constantly be calling, emailing, or texting people with all the info or make a calendar invite on Google. You just toss it all the info in the app while you're on the phone then you can assign it to people. I really like it.

Don't get me wrong, Joist and Google Calendar are good. They get the job done, they've got most of the features you'd need. But it personally saves me a crap ton of time and a lot of the headaches I've ran into with them with everything in one place and how much quicker it is to do stuff.

Wow that got long. I hope it helped though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts