Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The World’s Largest Solar Plant Started Creating Electricity Today

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System is now operational and delivering solar electricity to California customers. At full capacity, the facility’s trio of 450-foot high towers produces a gross total of 392 megawatts (MW) of solar power, enough electricity to provide 140,000 California homes with clean energy and avoid 400,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, equal to removing 72,000 vehicles off the road.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's clever, I think we need more clever ideas implemented. Just read about this too:

Lockheed Joins Giant Alternative Energy Project

The system is designed to be electrically tuned on a wave-by-wave basis to maximize the amount of electricity produced. In the Australian development, anticipated peak-power generating capacity is 62.5 megawatts. That would be sufficient to supply 10,000 homes.

The Victorian Wave project is scheduled to be built in three stages, with the first stage producing approximately 2.5 megawatts of peak power.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It's clever, I think we need more clever ideas implemented. Just read about this too:

Lockheed Joins Giant Alternative Energy Project

The system is designed to be electrically tuned on a wave-by-wave basis to maximize the amount of electricity produced. In the Australian development, anticipated peak-power generating capacity is 62.5 megawatts. That would be sufficient to supply 10,000 homes.

The Victorian Wave project is scheduled to be built in three stages, with the first stage producing approximately 2.5 megawatts of peak power.
Great idea. Wave action and tides are very efficient and so predictable you can set yor watch by them, not so with sola, solar, wind, hydro etc.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,332 Posts
The World’s Largest Solar Plant Started Creating Electricity Today

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System is now operational and delivering solar electricity to California customers. At full capacity, the facility’s trio of 450-foot high towers produces a gross total of 392 megawatts (MW) of solar power, enough electricity to provide 140,000 California homes with clean energy and avoid 400,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, equal to removing 72,000 vehicles off the road.

:thumbsup:

You mean this thing don't work after dark? Oh crap!

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
If they ever have a hail-storm, they are so screwed. :laughing:

Neat. If I remember right those types of plants run by heating sodium and then passing water through exchangers in the molten sodium to run steam turbines. There's talk of using this type of technology for "energy storage" if the molten sodium can be captured and held at temperature in reservoirs and used to spin the turbines later. Don't know if any plants are actually doing that, though.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If they ever have a hail-storm, they are so screwed. :laughing:

Neat. If I remember right those types of plants run by heating sodium and then passing water through exchangers in the molten sodium to run steam turbines. There's talk of using this type of technology for "energy storage" if the molten sodium can be captured and held at temperature in reservoirs and used to spin the turbines later. Don't know if any plants are actually doing that, though.
Hail, yes! unless they some polycarbonate protection or other.

I would love to know the particulars. Looks like a James Bond set-up:thumbsup:

I wonder if they try to position the mirrors or just have so many that all the angles are covered?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Those liquid salt energy storage plants are cool, but Ivanpah isn't one of them. Maybe they ran out of funding? Who knows.

Pretty impressive to see a solar plant generate almost 400MW though. Even if it does only work during the day.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Even if construction costs are equal to or greater than coal or nuclear, fuel costs zero compared to uranium or coal which costs money to mine process and transport, plus there aren't waste such as fly-ash or radioactive spent-fuel rods. Maybe it might be economical.

As for the fact that it only works during the day well that's not so bad because the region uses the most electricity during the day especially during the summer with air conditioning.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
So those are just mirrors that reflect the light to the tower? If so, they must be constantly moving. I wonder how they check to make sure each mirror is dialed in correctly.
Each mirror, called a "heliostat", is on a stand with a 2 or sometimes 3 axis motorized tracking system run by a micro PLC that has a solar tracking algorithm in it. It's done so much now they have it dialed into being a simple canned program routine. There is an overall computer system watching it all, but it's basically just checking overall performance, not dealing with each individual mirror control. The mirrors focus the sun on that tower, which contains molten salt. The salt gives up its heat more slowly so that it can produce steam all night long when there is no input from the mirrors. The mirrors all have to be periodically cleaned because of dust storms, but not birds etc., (they stay away or they get cooked, either way the problem solves itself).

There is another huge one of these that is about to go on line in Central Nevada, near Tonopah, in a few months. It is bigger than any one of these, but there are three of these at the same site in Ivanpah calif. We did all of the MCCs that run all the water systems used in the generators on the one in Tonopah, it was over $1million worth of MCCs alone, and we didn't even get all the Medium Voltage VFDs and the DCS system.

Notice the guy crouching near the pedestal for scale. The PLC is in the gray box on it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.