Electrician Talk banner

Solar Production Metering?

1437 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  macmikeman
House 1 has 30 panels on the roof. If he produces more than he consumes, then he sells energy to the grid. If he consumes more than he produces then he buys energy from the grid.

House 2 has 30 panels on the roof and sells all his energy to the grid. He then buys all his energy from the grid. House 2 wants to change to a plan like House 1 because:

1. House 2 wants to pay a lower daytime rate.
2. House 2 claims that if grid goes down then he looses power.

To truly meter solar panel production, it seems to me you would need an additional meter between the solar panels and the service panel. The only other way, that I can think of , is to calculate production as a function of location, surrounding buildings and trees, panel age etc...

Question 1:
Is a separate production meter something that you would expect to see in a residential PV system?

Question 2: During a grid power outage, how does the house disconnect from the grid while remaining connected to the PV system? This has to happen automatically to prevent line workers from getting zapped by the PV system.

Thanks
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,952 Posts
House 1 has 30 panels on the roof. If he produces more than he consumes, then he sells energy to the grid. If he consumes more than he produces then he buys energy from the grid.

House 2 has 30 panels on the roof and sells all his energy to the grid. He then buys all his energy from the grid. House 2 wants to change to a plan like House 1 because:

1. House 2 wants to pay a lower daytime rate.
2. House 2 claims that if grid goes down then he looses power.

To truly meter solar panel production, it seems to me you would need an additional meter between the solar panels and the service panel. The only other way, that I can think of , is to calculate production as a function of location, surrounding buildings and trees, panel age etc...

Question 1:
Is a separate production meter something that you would expect to see in a residential PV system?

Question 2: During a grid power outage, how does the house disconnect from the grid while remaining connected to the PV system? This has to happen automatically to prevent line workers from getting zapped by the PV system.

Thanks

Grid tied systems are required to shut off pv output when the grid is not active. They are now allowing a single built in 20 amp receptacle outlet to be still on during power outages with some Sunny Boy units that can be used to provide a backup battery system charge, but no connections back into the grid are allowed when grid goes down for obvious reasons.Short answer- the inverters automatically shut off during utility power loss.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.