Electrician Talk banner

Some career questions from a newbie

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  randomkiller 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm changing careers from IT to electrician, and had a few questions that I wanted to ask of some experienced professionals.

what do you enjoy most about the career?

what do you enjoy least about the career?

where did you get your training?

what are some of the best schools in your area?

where do you find the best apprentices?

what is the most important thing in your job?

what is an average day on the job like for you?

what other advice would you give to a new apprentice?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice and answers!

CLVC

See less See more
#3 ·
Why do I want to quit IT?

1. It's easily outsourced overseas (had it done 2x to me in 5 years).
2. By the time something new is published, it's already obsolete.
3. The power of the hardware doubles every 18 months on average.
4. You are being managed by people who are NOT proficient with the hardware/software at all.
5. Most importantly, I don't get any enjoyment out of it anymore, regardless of the payscale.

I still will tinker with my computers here at home (all 3 workstations, my laptop, and my server). I'll just do it for fun, and for my own enjoyment. I've always enjoyed working with my hands and my head at the same time. Electrician will be a much better fit for me. I still know a bunch of programmers that love what they do, but it ain't for me anymore.

CLVC

#5 ·
Wow, this sounds remarkably familiar...

I get much more enjoyment out of going to Home De$pot than I did going to Office max!

Plus, I like wearing D!ckies and flannels - I couldn't stand the Starbucks crowd and their berets and scarfs (IT ex-coworkers)!

:)

#4 ·

Diverse work,to name some areas, you can be residential, commercial, industrial, maintenance, or a combination.

I love it all and have for 47 years.

After serving in the US Navy as an EM I worked for a contractor in Pa. Attended Stevens Trade School, Lancaster, Pa

Don't know much about that now.

No answer on that one, I think every geographical area has good people willing to learn a trade.

My safety and the safety of anyone helping me. Second is the quality of work I perform. Thirdly is the quantity of work I perform.

Mine is not the average electrician's schedule, as I now do more office work than actual electrical work.

Work hard, listen well and volunteer to go get the coffee (you will end up getting it anyway).:laughing:

#6 ·
Mackie,

It's good to know I'm not the only nerd with callouses on my hands.

I went to Starschmucks with the rest of the IT crowd, but I drank mine black (no cream, sugar, foam, caramel, etc.).

I think I've found my place in the world finally.

CLVC

#7 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm changing careers from IT to electrician, and had a few questions that I wanted to ask of some experienced professionals.

Not being trapped in an office daily.
Driving in traffic almost daily.
IBEW apprenticeship.
Union schools.
DUH.
Working safely.
Rarely boring: coffee,work 2 hrs, coffee, work 2 hrs, lunch, work 2 hrs, coffee, work 2 hrs, drive in traffic..
Read the dozen other posts on here that have asked that same question.

CLVC

Anytime.

#9 ·
I couldn't agree with RandomKiller more about the quality of the IBEW apprenticeship. I just started on Monday. I have to go to school 8 hours a day for 11 weeks straight before stepping out in the field and after 4 days; I am dying to wake up every morning to go and learn more. I have learned a lot of information so far and I haven't even scratched the surface of what journeyman do on a daily basis. The class room and hands on education is incredible and they teach everyone as if nobody has every picked up a tool.

Already started 90 degree bends and installing/fitting them to 1900 boxes.... Just picked up a 1/2" bender and some EMT to practice those bends...:thumbup:

IBEW all the way:thumbsup:

#17 ·
. I just started on Monday. I have to go to school 8 hours a day for 11 weeks straight before stepping out in the field and after 4 days; I am dying to wake up every morning to go and learn more. I have learned a lot of information so far and I haven't even scratched the surface of what journeyman do on a daily basis. The class room and hands on education is incredible and they teach everyone as if nobody has every picked up a tool.

IBEW all the way:thumbsup:
how's PT going?

#10 · (Edited)
I went into apprenticeship right out of the Marine Corps. So to say I was gung ho to get the classroom sessions over and start the practical stuff is an understatement. I had all good instructors that made the time fly by. Back then almost all the guys who started finished, now they get tossed for several reasons not the least of which is drug testing. The quality of the education they provide is the best available in my opinion. The only real problems I have with apprentices is their attitudes, not being dressed properly for work, or being there way later than start time and wanting to leave early.

#11 ·
I went into apprenticeship right out of the Marine Corps. So to say I was gung ho to get the classroom sessions over and start the practical stuff is an understatement. I had all good instructors that made the time fly by.
Humanities HS?

Back then almost all the guys who started finished, now they get tossed for several reasons not the least of which is drug testing.
They're eliminated by the blood & hair sample tests before admission into the program. The FIRST class thought it was a bluff... (and I'd be the last to disagree that in the past the local has done more sabre-rattling than actually carry out their stated policies) over 50% of apprentices since the new policies were implemented have been dismissed. Attendance is another biggie.

The quality of the education they provide is the best available in my opinion. The only real problems I have with apprentices is their attitudes, not being dressed properly for work, or being there way later than start time and wanting to leave early.
Geez these kids today... ya know? :rolleyes:

#12 ·
I guess electrical is one of the last trades which hasn't been effectively farmed out to "grunt" workers, but I think it is coming. Oh well, long day!

It is challenging, diversified work which easily leaves one with a feeling of accomplishment. It is also a ready pathway to becoming your own business owner, although owning the business is very much not the same as doing the work.

It can be incredibly dirty and boring and you sometimes must work well with people who are serious jerks, but I guess that's true of any trade.

Best of luck to you!

#13 ·
I guess electrical is one of the last trades which hasn't been effectively farmed out to "grunt" workers, but I think it is coming. Oh well, long day!

It is challenging, diversified work which easily leaves one with a feeling of accomplishment. It is also a ready pathway to becoming your own business owner, although owning the business is very much not the same as doing the work.

It can be incredibly dirty and boring and you sometimes must work well with people who are serious jerks, but I guess that's true of any trade.

Best of luck to you!
There is a big difference in working well with them and just working near them, we usually are there after the roofers, masons, framers, and other beer guzzlers are gone offsite.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the advice, gentlemen!

I've never had to worry about being let go for attendance nor attitude, and have NO problems whatsoever passing a drug test. EVER!

I only get sick one or two days a year, people usually really enjoy working with me, I'm usually the first one in and the last one out, and I was advised by an older uncle (regarding drugs and alcohol) when I was a kid "if you don't start, you won't have to quit, and sooner or later, you WILL have to quit." So, I never started...:)

#15 ·
always working on something different, chage of pace

working in the summer heat

attended night school once a week for 4 years and Grand Rapids
Community College in Grand Rapids, MI

see previous question

usually straight out of high school

Understanding your job, your duties, the systems you install, and
saftey

Work, eat lunch, work, go home :thumbup:

learn as much as you can from those with experience, work hard, be
open minded

#16 ·

working somwhere different most days and no job is the same

digging ditches, smart-arse apprentices, early mornings

apprenticeship at heyday electrics, trade school Ultimo Tafe

Luck of the draw really

safety

go to office, find out what job im going to. head out there. get the apprentice to buy me a coffee and the paper. do some work! head home at 3.30pm

turn up on time, dont put your hands in your pockets EVER, keep your head down and you will soon work out what is acceptable on the job and what isnt.

hope this helps
good luck
BSIDE

#18 ·
Hello everyone!

- Different situations ie: locations, problems, people

- driving, paying for parking when working downtown, people with bad attitudes

- ibew 134

- i'm biased- go union

- anywhere, where someone puts forth the effort to learn a great trade.

- being safe, efficient, resourceful, and doing it right the first time

- depends on the job... hourly wise 7:00-3:20

- listen to the journeyman, don't start trouble, if you don't understand - ASK, be efficient, and be safe.

CLVC
good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.