Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw hardly any conduit, and the services were all run along the buildings and used cables of a type I did not recognize.

I believe its a 230 volt system.

They use open splices, and I saw no covering?

I have more pictures. I just got in and need to catch up on sleep because of the 6 hr difference.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Those sure are some weird weatherheads.

I recognize the taps in the first picture as Blackburn IPC's, but none of the other stuff looks famaliar. The second pic looks like ENT with a plumbing tee in it.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I wonder if each single receptacle was on an individual 20 amp circuit?
I was about to say that I suppose you could have tripped one to see if the other one went out. Then, I remembered those first pics and though maybe that wasn't such a good idea. If they don't use junction boxes, they might not use fuses or breakers either. :no:

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OC Devices

I was about to say that I suppose you could have tripped one to see if the other one went out. Then, I remembered those first pics and though maybe that wasn't such a good idea. If they don't use junction boxes, they might not use fuses or breakers either. :no:
I believe that the ship had similar enclosures like this one, but this open cabinet was found in a parking lot, and was without GFCI protection? :001_huh:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Joe, please don't tell us you spent your whole vacation looking at electrical stuff!:no:

I'm sure (I hope!) you took some great pictures of the sights that you could post in Off Topic! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Joe, please don't tell us you spent your whole vacation looking at electrical stuff!:no:
I probably would have :laughing:

I can't even go into a store without looking up all the time, gawking at the fixtuers and conduit runs in the bar joists. When I was school aged, I was on the school's debate team. When we visited other schools for debate meets, I'd look for the boiler rooms and mechanical rooms between sessions to look at all the neat stuff. It's a disease, I believe. :rolleyes:

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I did

I'm sure (I hope!) you took some great pictures of the sights that you could post in Off Topic! :thumbup:
John:

Yes, I did, and I will post many, but the others posted here were in between stops, and while on tours.

My wife told me not to take any pictures people there because she was afraid that I would get in trouble. :laughing:

Marc:

A sickness it is for sure, and gets me in trouble from time to time, but I will not stop, especially with the 4 GB card I have now. :thumbup:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I thought I was nuts with a 1 Gb card!:laughing:

Marc, Joe, I do the same thing. Marla and I took the kids for sno-balls last night, and I'm looking at stuff and muttering, "Shoulda brought the camera..."

I even took a picture of something at my sister's wedding reception! :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
We get to continental europe quite often. Apart from France/Germany/Italy and the Scandinavian countries we never get in a bath tub. If you had seen some of the stuff I have seen too (Joes great photo,s are just the tip) you wouldn,t bathe either

Frank

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was in the waiting room at the hospital, waiting for my Father to come out of the emergency room, and I saw a violation in the ceiling...I whipped out my trusty camera and took pictures. My family was mortified - I have the photos :thumbsup: My smaller camera is on my belt next to my phone every day. That is how I get some great pics, today I took around 70 pics, a slow day.

BTW: my father survived that hospital trip.:thumbup:

·
Registered
32,798 Posts
I had some incredible pictures of electrical systems in China, Inuit homes in Alaska with meters mounted on 4X4s next to sod dug out huts., and HV cables laying in the gutter in NY city, blow ups, LOST THEM due to hard drive crash.

BACK UP, Back up, back up and lastly BACK UP.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Joe T;.. I guess you knew I used to live in France before so i can tell the wire colours code right off the bat as you see one photo the bleu wire that is netural. the green with yellow stripe that is grounding wire aka green or bare wire here in thier place they called "earth "

for hot conductors they did change the colour code few time over the years so it get pretty instering with it. If i rember Greece system the black is hot but not sure if that was on old colour code or they went to brown as modern colour code.

http://www.electrical-contractor.ne.../ubb/showflat/Number/148731/page/1#Post148731

that link will show the international color code but keep in your mind it might change senice this was typed quite few years back so i am not sure if it was updated or not

Merci , Marc

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Color Code

Joe T;.. I guess you knew I used to live in France before so i can tell the wire colours code right off the bat as you see one photo the bleu wire that is netural. the green with yellow stripe that is grounding wire aka green or bare wire here in thier place they called "earth "

for hot conductors they did change the colour code few time over the years so it get pretty instering with it. If i rember Greece system the black is hot but not sure if that was on old colour code or they went to brown as modern colour code.

http://www.electrical-contractor.ne.../ubb/showflat/Number/148731/page/1#Post148731

that link will show the international color code but keep in your mind it might change senice this was typed quite few years back so i am not sure if it was updated or not

Merci , Marc
Thanks Marc:

Here's a picture with the colors I saw, Brown; Black; Blue; Green/Yellow.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Frenchelectrician

All European Union Countries are supposed to have a harmonised colour code wiring system

Single Phase Live/Brown
Neutral/Blue
Earth/Green-yellow.

Multiphase Phase1 Black
Phase 2 Grey
Phase 3 Brown.

This is a supposed improvement from Red/Yellow/Blue. Crazy beurocrats at it again

Frank

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Frank
This is a supposed improvement from Red/Yellow/Blue. Crazy beurocrats at it again
Frank ya better belive it i know it pretty insane as well in our old french electrical system as well

here is the French colour system is (Old System)

Phase 1: Green (Vert),
Phase 2: Yellow (Jaune),
Phase 3: Brown (Marron),
Neutral: Grey (Gris),
Earth: White (Blanc)

According to a reference, the old French color code used up until 1970 and was:

Phase = Green
Neutral = Red
Earth = White or Gray

Current French Standard:

Phase A: Black (Noir),
Phase B: Red (Rouge),
Phase C: Brown (Marron),
Neurtal: Blue (Bleu),
Ground: Green / Yellow (Vert/Jaune)

Now you know why i got a habit always test the voltage first place and dont really trust the wire colour at all. that the main reason it really throw your mind right off the :censored: wall

Merci , Marc

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
According to a reference, the old French color code used up until 1970 and was:

Phase = Green
Neutral = Red
Earth = White or Gray
Holy smokes! It probably wouldn't be a good idea for a US electrician to start to work in an older section of France, then. He'd be killed, just from old habits. :eek: Green for a phase conductor... whew!

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Yep, I did work on older section and tell ya the truth it was hairrasing event and when i move to USA it was rather hair rasing for a min until i got used to the USA colour code but one of the electrician from France gave me a stern lesson always carry your tester and test and test the voltage no matter what wire colour it is!!

after that it was not too bad once i get a habit to test it first it did payoff more than once because i get some machines from european area and they have oddball wire colour and one electrician have to called me in to get this unit hook up right that why i keep a note pad it was written what common colour codes from each area it come from so i can wire it up quick

Merci, Marc

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I do prefer the way many European machine prints read left to right, instead of top to bottom like North American ladder diagrams do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.