Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first year apprentice and looking to go back to school next March, I have over 1500 hours and steady work through the summer, but I was hoping to get into a fly in/fly out camp job starting around november so I can pay for school and things. Does anyone know of any companies that I could apply to? also what type of wages do apprentices make in these jobs. It's really hard to find any information about camp jobs online soI would appreciate any information, tips or help :)

· Registered
3 Posts
I work IBEW and we have lots of work in Kitimat right now. Journeyman rate is $37.50/hour right now and paid flights in and out. Judging by your hours you would probably be around $24/hour. 20/8 shift with 10 hour days and some extra OT.

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm a first year apprentice and looking to go back to school next March, I have over 1500 hours and steady work through the summer, but I was hoping to get into a fly in/fly out camp job starting around november so I can pay for school and things. Does anyone know of any companies that I could apply to? also what type of wages do apprentices make in these jobs. It's really hard to find any information about camp jobs online soI would appreciate any information, tips or help :)
How does these camps work? I am interested in these are there any in the us? And do u have to be union?

· Registered
240 Posts
How does these camps work? I am interested in these are there any in the us? And do u have to be union?
im working on one right now

we're building the main camp for a hydro dam set to start first pour in 2016. we stay in the start up camp 15 minute bus ride away.

21 in 7 off. 10 hour days. weekends are double time. its great cash and if you want to you can stay up to 40 days. i was making 42 bucks an hour saturday sunday and monday (holiday) to hang and tie in fluorescent lights. and im only a second. J's make over 80 an hour on the weekend.

i live in winnipeg but they fly me in and out to thompson every rotation.

you have to be union to work on manitoba hydro projects. it's an agreement we have. that's for all trades! carpenters teamsters laborers cladders ironworkers millwrights operating engineers plumbers etc ... you get the deal.

im havin a blast, learning lots, and making bank. whats not to love :thumbsup:

· Registered
3 Posts
Ya the fact that Kitimat is a ****show isn't to do with the union. It's more to do with the engineering for the job as far as I'm concerned.

As another poster said, large jobs are typically organized chaos. Especially since Kitimat is looking to be done by the end of 2014 (not likely).

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello Frank here

Frank here
I too am first year apprentice graduated from BCIT foundation program in Vancouver and am looking to go up in Northern Alberta.
I got some info from few people oh how the work is, pay, work 10 days off 10 and some other info. Email me as I have few company names for you wg
Hitch email them to you. [email protected]

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, I am just finishing my 2nd year, and thinking of heading up North in January. I've worked oilfield before in Coil; but am green as far as, Industrial Electrical goes. (Residential/Commercial experience so far). I am just wondering how much the current downturn in oil prices is effecting work up north for anyone in the know. I appreciate any feedback, or points in the right direction.

Estwing magic
28,098 Posts
So your saying it doesn't look good for me if I wanted to wait almost a year?
Nobody knows how long the low price of oil will last or how it will affect the Alberta economy.

Here is my economical indicator, which is probably just as good as any expert prognostication. If jobs start drying up on kijiji, they are drying up in real life. Keep an eye on it:

www.kijiji.ca/b-jobs/alberta/electrician/page-2/k0c45l9003

Currently, there are 32 pages of ads for electricians in Alberta. You can compare that to the GTA with 19 pages and the Greater Vancouver area with two pages.

· Registered
2 Posts
Just my thoughts, from personal experience but I would be more concerned about Q1 2015, than in a year from now. The last big slow down that I can remember was about 7 years ago, and I think layoffs lasted about 6 months for some companies. Nobody knows for sure, but I would bet that we are back to paying too much at the pumps by summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.