Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's kind of a hurry up and do it job. Water was literally leaking out of the panel during a rain storm. The main breaker was so badly ruined it wouldn't even turn off manually. The old Murray's with this type MB is like a cousin to FPE!

Attachments

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Look$ good Mag. Did you sleeve the SE or new?

What are duplex conn.?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Look$ good Mag. Did you sleeve the SE or new?

What are duplex conn.?
Those connectors on the top of the panel are duplex connectors used primarily for MC cable. You can use them for NM cable too, but I don't see a point to that when a regular NM cable connector will do. Just seems like a waste of material and they take up more room. Otherwise it looks good.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're all new connectors. I've decided to include them in my upgrades. I'm aware the button connectors can be used - and I do use them - but they're cheap looking and a little amateurish now that I think about it. This service will last for 75 years!

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Btw, a rare look inside of one of my panels. Only a few wire nuts in this one. Not pictured is a junction box with (2) branch circuit extensions.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
They're all new connectors. I've decided to include them in my upgrades. I'm aware the button connectors can be used - and I do use them - but they're cheap looking and a little amateurish now that I think about it. This service will last for 75 years!
I thought you hated GE? :001_huh: Nothing "amateurish" about the black button connectors at all.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Was that pipe and WH further than 3ft from the panel? Or was this an "existing condition" exception?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I thought you hated GE? :001_huh: Nothing "amateurish" about the black button connectors at all.
Even if you don't like black buttons 2 screw Rome connectors are rated for 2 12-2s or 2 14-2s. Heck, there are also the gray raco/Arlington plastic connectors that are a bit larger profile. All far cheaper than duplex MC connectors.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
The only thing more "amateurish" then installing the cheapest,crappiest panel known to mankind is using the wrong connectors.

LMFAO

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Here's kind of a hurry up and do it job. Water was literally leaking out of the panel during a rain storm. The main breaker was so badly ruined it wouldn't even turn off manually. The old Murray's with this type MB is like a cousin to FPE!
Looks good. Nice job.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Im not at all impressed with GE panels, but ive used them on jobs where the bottom dollar was the only thing that mattered. When cheap is what they want, cheap is what they get.

Put a panel in a shed 2 weeks ago, and $$$ was tight. I threw in a GE instead of a homeline and saved close to $40 just with the panel & breakers. I wouldn't put one in my house, but who am I to tell them how to spend their money.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Personally, I like the old Murrays with their red, blue and green breakers. CH are all tan and boring, a Murray panel looks exciting!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts