Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day everyone,

Approximately six months ago I decided I wanted to become an electrician. With that said, I will finally be able to start my apprenticeship in a few months.

To prepare for this transition I have been brushing up on my Algebra. Should I be brushing up on other math topics? or will algebra be sufficient for my first year apprenticeship? It's been awhile since I had to do anything other then basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, etc). 10+ years to be exact.

Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction.

Cheers,
Gordon

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Good day everyone,

Approximately six months ago I decided I wanted to become an electrician. With that said, I will finally be able to start my apprenticeship in May.

To prepare for this transition I have been brushing up on my Algebra. Should I be brushing up on other math topics? or will algebra be sufficient for my first year apprenticeship? It's been awhile since I had to do anything other then basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, etc). 10+ years to be exact.

Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction.

Cheers,
Gordon
Hello Gordon welcome to the big show..:thumbup:

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
Chances are for your first years schooling they will be a good review on the basic math that one needs.

But yes, in general the math isn't that difficult. It's the learning of what formula to use where that catches some people (well, that and fat fingers on the calculator).

Off hand, you'll need to know transposing formulas(for everything), basic trig (AC) and how to add vectors.

Other than that, it's a lot of reading comprehension when it comes to the code.

·
Registered
422 Posts
yeah your basic trig is important, it all expands from there. There will be alot of formulas to remember. And, you need to be comfortable transposing/rearranging formulas. It would be a good idea to start learning the 12 ohms law formulas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
for math....practice Trigonometry. Tan=opposite/adjacent Cos=adjacent/hyp. Sin=opposite/hyp. and remember the Pythagorean theorem a2 + b2 = c2
SOHCAHTOA man, SOHCAHTOA! :thumbup:

Reactions: el gordo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chances are for your first years schooling they will be a good review on the basic math that one needs.

But yes, in general the math isn't that difficult. It's the learning of what formula to use where that catches some people (well, that and fat fingers on the calculator).

Off hand, you'll need to know transposing formulas(for everything), basic trig (AC) and how to add vectors.

Other than that, it's a lot of reading comprehension when it comes to the code.
Thanks for the information. As an electrician are you required to memorize the entire code book?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just two questions why did it take 6 months ? and why do you have to wait till may.
I had to get my financials in order. I will be doing a pre-employment electrician course prior to entering the apprenticeship. So instead of working and then going to school I am doing the opposite for my first year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts