Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads, I'm Andrew a 25 year old electrician from Queensland, Australia. I will be moving over to California in hopefully 4 months, if the USCIS play nicely that is.

Just trying to do some research regarding continuing my trade in California. I will be taking the journeyman test when i get over there, my training was 4 years of apprenticeship, with over 8,000 hours trained.

What is the construction industry like over there?

And I suppose the question that always begs to be asked...what truck should I get? :)

Cheers, Andrew

·
I saw a guy do it once.
866 Posts
You'll need to get a cert, I dont know if your time in Australia will count for time towards your certification.

Seeing as you're going to be relatively new to the US way of doing things, I'm going to assume youre not going to be running your own company any time soon.

That being said, my recommendation is to get a little truck like a Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's looking like we will be living in San Clemente, CA. If the job market continues like it is however, may just have to come back to Australia for work.

Our apprenticeship is heavily regulated and administrated, this means I have documented proof (from government agencies) how much of what work I have trained in; as far as I'm aware I have to study up on the Title 24 Part 3 (Californian electrical code 2007...right?) pass my journeyman's test and they will credit my hours...we'll see!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Welcome, when you get here. If you have documented proof of your hours, you should be able to just send them to the state and apply for a testing date for a General Electrician. Pretty simple, you might want to call the state DIR and find out exactly. Don't work about trying to obtain chapter 3 of T24. Just get a 2005 NEC, that's what the test is on.

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
If you have documented proof of your hours, you should be able to just send them to the state and apply for a testing date for a General Electrician.

Pretty simple ...
Sound simple enough all right and largely how it should be.
Everywhere.

... you might want to call the state DIR and find out exactly. Don't work about trying to obtain chapter 3 of T24. Just get a 2005 NEC, that's what the test is on.
Getting down to the nitty gritty is that it is hard enough for US based people to *document* their hours. The larger hurdle though is whether your AU hours will count at all.

I suspect they won't though (as has been reported by others).

All this also assumes legal ability to work in the US (visas etc).

Good luck to you.
If nothing else San Clemente has a wonderful state park right on the beach where you can tent camp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts