Electrician Talk banner

sore feet

6K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  volleyball 
#1 ·
I have very flat feet and a bit overweight, a bad combination. I can't find any shoes much less boots that can relieve the pain. I can do 8 hours but I've been doing 10 and 12 hours 6 and 7 seven days a week for a few years. I've bought redwings and wolverines with no luck. I've beaten the hell out of those 50 dollar dr scholl inserts.
I hope someone hear know of some miracle device. I may have to get out of the trade if I can't get any relief.

#3 ·
daddymack said:
I have very flat feet and a bit overweight, a bad combination. I can't find any shoes much less boots that can relieve the pain. I can do 8 hours but I've been doing 10 and 12 hours 6 and 7 seven days a week for a few years. I've bought redwings and wolverines with no luck. I've beaten the hell out of those 50 dollar dr scholl inserts. I hope someone hear know of some miracle device. I may have to get out of the trade if I can't get any relief.
I have Dr Scholl shoes with the built in gell. Great for walking.
But if your feet are bad and you must wear boots, see about custom inserts.
My wife uses a guy who owns a Berkenstock store. As a service he makes and inserts custom inserts. He charges about $100 per pair of shoes with a life time guarantee. She can even wear heels again.

#5 ·
News years eve day I could hardly walk. Went to a foot doc.

He sells me a $65 pair of inserts (that you can't buy in a store) to hold me over.

$400 and he sticks me in a chair and does a laser scan of my feet. Tells me to come back in 3 to 4 weeks for my custom inserts.

I wear them 24/7. Wife says you don't wear shoes in the house. I say take I hike, I do now. Wear 24/7 with the custom inserts.

What is it April? Tales a long time January, February, March, and now April.

I can now walk in my bare feet. I don't, but if there was a fire in my place I could get out now and 3 months ago I wouldn't have been able to.

Go to a foot doc. Pay the money for custom inserts, wear em 24/7. You will be good to go.

One thing I noticed... it was my right foot. With the inserts I noticed right away pressure on my foot, stopping it from moving, as I pressed on the gas pedal. Cool.

#6 · (Edited)
A thing with inserts, even the custom ones. They are flat on the bottom. Flat.

Did I say Flat on the bottom? Take the old inserts out of your boots. Then you have a flat bottom that matches the flat bottom of the hopefully custom inserts. Works a treat.

Can't really work any other way can it? Even the store bought ones have to have a starting place and if the the old boot is already trying to thow an arch in there it's gonna screw things up. Pull the old inserts out (all shoes have factory inserts) !.

#23 ·
Drink lots of water. My feet get sore (plantar fascitis) when i don't drink enough water. Seriously. I had foot problems for years, then I did a job in China, i had to do a LOT of walking, but it was 51 degrees Celcius outside, so I literally drank over a gallon of water a day. Discovered my feet felt better than they ever had.

Especially if you are working long shifts, try to drink 1-2 liters of water a day. I bet it makes a difference.

Doctors have their place, but they would not make much of a living if they told everyone to drink more water instead of selling them insoles.

#14 ·
This works for me; Blundstone safety boots + custom orthotics. If I have foot pain after a long day( I keep two bags of peas in the freezer for this purpose) step on them until the cold is unbearable also keep a couple of golf balls under the bed, before I get out of the bed roll them under my feet for am minute.

#18 ·
I have thrown thousands of dollars at work boots and my feet the past few years, and finally have a good solution. Danner composite toe hiking boots, that as soon as I'm done working they come off and I rock either barefoot or sandals. Walking barefoot and sandals for the past few years has strengthened my feet and ankles up somehow, and ultra lightweight boots work for me. Letting my feet breathe, dry out, and drop the swelling down has done worlds of difference. I also only wear wool socks, year round (except with my sandals. Not quite to full Birkenstocks :laughing:)

#19 ·
No one likes to hear this, all of your weight is on your feet, then you lift and carry tools and materials adding even more weight for your feet to carry. You probably need to drop the excess pounds (and I say this as one that needs to lose it also, my doctor blames my back pain on my weight even though x-rays have shown I have arthritis in my hips).

#20 ·
If you can get away with wearing these I suggest you try them. I am fully flat footed, over pronate and have wide feet.

With these the only time my feet hurt is when working in a genie lift. This includes 10-12 hours on and off a ladder.

They hold up fairly well to hard work not like a pair of good work boots though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

Attachments

#24 ·
You may want to look into Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy.

My dad is a doctor, and he had it done at the suggestion of a colleague. He was experiencing a lot of pain in his heel and arch. It solved his problem and he can walk normally now. He spends 10-12 hours a day standing or walking and is close to retirement. The downside is that it works by causing more damage which stimulates the body to heal. It basically means that the treatment will make the problem worse before it makes it better. It took about 3 months to return to normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_shockwave_therapy

#26 ·
KennyW said:
Drink lots of water. My feet get sore (plantar fascitis) when i don't drink enough water. Seriously. I had foot problems for years, then I did a job in China, i had to do a LOT of walking, but it was 51 degrees Celcius outside, so I literally drank over a gallon of water a day. Discovered my feet felt better than they ever had. Especially if you are working long shifts, try to drink 1-2 liters of water a day. I bet it makes a difference. Doctors have their place, but they would not make much of a living if they told everyone to drink more water instead of selling them insoles.
Great post. I think of water as medicine. You will be less success able to injury also. Keeps your muscles and tendons flexible.
Foot pain is usually a trickle down affect from something else that is out of whack in the body.

#31 ·
I have like 2 dr scholls in each shoe now.
Well that would probably be a problem. See if you bought a pair and placed them on the floor and stood on them they might be comfortable. They are sitting on a flat floor.

If you buy a second pair and put them on top of the first pair, well they aren't designed for that. The second pair is all out of whack so the feet are worse off.

Same is if you leave the factory insoles in. Now you have them, first pair of scholls, 2nd set of scholls. So three pairs of insoles. How is that going to work? They are all twisted out of shape or will be when you stand on them.

Rip out the insoles from the factory that are in the boot. One pair of scholls that will now fit flat on the bottom in the boot. The top of the insole hopefully now supplying the proper arch support.

Best of course is to get the ol feet some custom ones again tho.

#28 ·
Here is what Dr. Macmikeman suggests! Get up early in the morning and take a nice long walk in the beach sand starting from Sunset Beach Point and go all the way along past Rocky Point, Gas Chambers, Pipeline, Off The Wall, Log Cabins, and end up at Sharks Cove. The bonus to your feet is that at the end of your walk the women at Sharks Cove / Keiki Beach are usually topless in their lawn chairs as they soak up the sun and they are twenty years old. Makes the feet feel better for days .

#32 ·
If you are wearing boots more than 8 hrs a day or if you are prone to smelly feet, buy a second pair and alternate. Give the shoes a day to dry out and your spouse will love you more.
I agree with custom orthotics inserts. Bring the shoe you will put them in with you.
If you are heavy, it is a good idea to replace your shoes every 6 month, maybe a year if you alternate. You foot wears into the shoe so you are walking on parts of your foot not designed to meet the pavement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.