Electrician Talk banner

Spa AC disconnect required 5' away per manufacturer?

890 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  SomeJoe
Manufacturer replaced defective spa, installers would not reconnect existing 60-amp (fused) outdoor AC disconnect due to it being mounted on spa about 12" away from floor. 60-amp GFCI OCPD at MSP.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Electrician
2,576 Posts
Its required by the National electric code to be 5' away so some idiot doesn't try to touch it while in the spa. Anything on or above the deck needs to be 5' away unless it is powered by a "LISTED" low voltage transformer specifically for a pool/spa. Pool/spa lighting properly installed in the pool and spa equipment are ok from the manufacture underneath with a cover.

· Registered
C10
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx gents.... This was a question on behalf of someone else in which my immediate thoughts were of "some idiot" haha actually reaching over to operate AC disco whilst in water.
5' away makes the humanoid exit spa making this an extra step safer on top of GFCI OCPD in MSP.

I don't have my code book on hand yet I found this on the spideWeb which single family dwellings are exempt from 5' rule, **this might be from older code tho.

""An emergency switch for spas and hot tubs is required by 680.41. This switch must be identified as an emergency disconnect and must stop the motor(s) in the circulation and jet systems when placed in the off position. It must be readily accessible, within sight and not located closer than 5 feet from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub. This rule applies to all occupancies except one-family dwellings.""

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.