Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Residential Spa/Hot Tub outside disconnect box. This box has a pull out disconnect, a contactor(like a A/C contactor) with 4 wires going to a gfci w/ no ground. I was wondering do you still wire the gfi line and load or just put the 4 wires coming from the contactor all on the line side. It had been previously wired all on the line side but I can't think of any reason to wire it that way. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

240v comes into pull out disconnect-out of disconnect to a contactor(240v)-then from the contactor 240v to the spa-out of the top of the contactor 4 #12 wires go to the gfi. i just tied it straight through by-passing the gfi but my brother in law wanted the gfi he took off back on. He says that all 4 #12 wires were on the line side but he isn't 100% sure. So when I put the gfi on I wired it the way I believe it should be. Line/Load. Just trying to see if there is any reason to have everything on the line side, I can't think of anything. Just looking for reassurance.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
First off, your 4-12's sound small, but should be H-H-N-G

2ndly, i'm unsure of what type gfcis you have , if this is a faceless gfci that drops out said contactor, or what, is there any info inside the cover?

in any case, to comply with 680, as well as listings, a gfci for an outdoor 'spa' is required

if in fact your BIL took it out because it was tripping, it was most likely doing it's job

~CS~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also he has had this unit and this set-up for 12 years. The heater went out and tripped the gfci. He thought the gfi went bad and started tearing into it then called me after the new heater was installed. I haven't added or set this disconnect up. He shouldn't have messed with it and wouldn't need to be bothering you.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Also he has had this unit and this set-up for 12 years. The heater went out and tripped the gfci. He thought the gfi went bad and started tearing into it then called me after the new heater was installed. I haven't added or set this disconnect up. He shouldn't have messed with it and wouldn't need to be bothering you.
Ok, is this similar to what you have 277?>

might look something like this w/cover on?

If so, the H-H-N goes through the sensor from source >>> contactor
Any imbalance drops the contactor out, the coil of which should be made off the GFCI load side to do so

~CS~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nailed it

I work strictly on motor controls and haven't messed with residential in 20+ years however it only made sense that their had to be a load. The gfi he picked up from Wiseway is a standard GFCI with a face. The one he took out he threw away. So I never got to see what it looked like but can imagine just like the photo. I installed the one he picked up because Wiseway said they had never seen one like the old one before. Thanks for all your help. I guess I will go to A&S Electric Parts and see if they have the correct one. But a gfi is gfi right. Once again I really appreciate your time and direction.

·
Master Of Disaster
Generator installs and service , temp and emergency power
1,777 Posts
Ok, is this similar to what you have 277?>

might look something like this w/cover on?

If so, the H-H-N goes through the sensor from source >>> contactor
Any imbalance drops the contactor out, the coil of which should be made off the GFCI load side to do so

~CS~
How does that thing work chicken man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was reading 110.22 and didn't think I could use a standard GFI in place of the one that was previously there. But, if the CT is the only difference then I reckon it is ok. My fault for misinterpreting 110.22.Thanks again...............

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I guess 110.22 is strictly in a series. Well I reckon just an old GFI will work just fine then. Unless the GFI must have the sensor on the back, which from the way the #10 wires were ran looked like they had been using it for space in the panel vs. protection. Thanks again.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
Been a while, but the last I time I used one of those Leviton doughnut GFCI's, they were only listed in combination with certain contactors.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Further fat for the fire would be that a disco within sight isn't required for a resi spa per 680.41, making that 240Vgfci50/60 all the more attractive nrp3

But all those dump & run hot tub dealers who sell the 'entire package' have the HO's convinced otherwise ...

~CS~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.