Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, can you use 16 gauge stranded speaker wire (red and black) as a power cable for 24 volt power in a hospital? Would it pass code for Los Angeles, CA?

·
√-1 2³ Σ π
3,465 Posts
I THINK you can't.
Speaker wire is for............speakers.

Ask Joe Tedesco:laughing:

please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I have a question, can you use 16 gauge stranded speaker wire (red and black) as a power cable for 24 volt power in a hospital? Would it pass code for Los Angeles, CA?
I am betting not. I believe it has to be rated class 2.

~Matt

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I can't understand why you wouldn't use the right materials. The customer pays for it anyway.:blink:

It may or may not be the same wire, depending on what it is it may need to be shielded, but you can bet your ass that speaker wire will not be listed for use as building wire. Why would you even think about taking that liability risk?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Speaker wire is wire that is made for carrying the signal to audio speakers. Back in the 'good ole' days' speaker wire was 18 gage maximum, but nowadays you'll find it in startlingly heavy gages, and at a startlingly high cost for the big ones.

As to using it in a hospital... not if it's going into the structure (wall, ceiling, etc.). Is it even flame-rated?

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Speaker wire is wire that is made for carrying the signal to audio speakers. Back in the 'good ole' days' speaker wire was 18 gage maximum, but nowadays you'll find it in startlingly heavy gages, and at a startlingly high cost for the big ones.

As to using it in a hospital... not if it's going into the structure (wall, ceiling, etc.). Is it even flame-rated?

My point was that he needs to tell us what the labeling on this wire says. 'Speaker wire' is different things to different people and really tells us nothing.

I have seen almost anything used as speaker wire.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
What is 'speaker wire'?
Braided Oxygen free monster cable... that gives you all the TOANZ. :rolleyes:

It just kills me when i see people buy monster cable. I mean really... oxygen free? Come on...

~Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts