Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sprinkler guy put about a 3 inch offset in all thread the other day. It was so he could land it in the center of a concrete ceiling column. It was about 3 feet long over all. Would you apply or except this method in a pinch.?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It's obviously going to be weaker but without seeing a pic and knowing the loads it's impossible to guess with any accuracy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, it was just a 2 inch sprinkler.(2 inch I think) I am talking about using it for one side of strut to hang a varity of emt. I dont think I would use it without at least checking with a forman but sometimes theirs not many options available and wanted to see if its a common method.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Electrical Student said:
Yea, it was just a 2 inch sprinkler.(2 inch I think) I am talking about using it for one side of strut to hang a varity of emt. I dont think I would use it without at least checking with a forman but sometimes theirs not many options available and wanted to see if its a common method.
It's not common and I wouldn't keep that method in your bag of tricks. There's always a better way. Like john said, for a single required support of minimal weight...maybe

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hopefully the sprinkler fitter remembers that water weighs more than air, so that when he goes to fill the system the hanger doesn't give way and create an indoor swimming pool...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts