Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what are some specializations that a journeyman can seek in the way of certifications once passing their test?

I just would like to add any little extra bells and whistles i can on top of just being certified at some point ya know?

I think it would look nice on my resume since i wouldnt have anything more than 4 years in the trade, some safety certs and certified journeyman.

My quest to be above average.:thumbup:

Lemme know thx!

·
13,020 Posts
I hear a formal welding certification is pretty popular.

Also OSHA-10 or OSHA-40 or whatever it is is a must-have for many jobsites. First Aid/CPR card (Red Cross does classes for this everywhere). Fall protection class is a good one too. We had a fall protection product rep come to my apprentice class last year and do a quick-and-dirty class on harnesses, ladder safety, scaffolding, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Process Instrumentation

IMASA Traffic Signal Electrician ( You have to be working in the industry) They will accept working for a installation contractor

NICET Fire Alarm If you have a bunch of money to blow.

LC

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Lone Crapshooter said:
Process Instrumentation IMASA Traffic Signal Electrician ( You have to be working in the industry) They will accept working for a installation contractor NICET Fire Alarm If you have a bunch of money to blow. LC
NICET Fire alarm isn't easy to get. Need work experience that equals 2 years of related fire alarm work to get level two. I'm two years away from getting my level 4

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I talked to the NICET people and they told me that I had enough past experience to do levels 1 and 2 The engineer that I work for would sign for me. That has been about 8 years ago. I got to looking about the cash outlay and what the fire alarm business pays and I can make more money as a industrial electrician than a fire alarm tech. In my area fire alarm work does not pay.

Also most of the techs that I have talked to have nothing good to say about the NICET organization.

LC

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Some Certs need more than the paper but years of training.

Simpler ones are

Confined space
Arc Flash Training
OSHA Training
A Masters license (can help or hurt)
several of the ones noted above that just require class room)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.