Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys, 1 to 5 man shops anyway, keep an actual file, in a cabinet, for each client? I am just looking to keep warranty info, previous installation details and other info, specific to each client, organized. Is there a practical way to keep these details electronically/paperless? Thanks.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
This may sound silly but for every descent size job I will buy one, maybe two big blue storage containers and label them with the clients name. After the job is done I keep the left over materials neatly stored away. Other items like plans and things can go in the container too.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,641 Posts
I make up an extra O&M manual for each project and file it away.
The project manual gets filed with the O&M.
And I also keep a digital copy of all of the above, which includes all of the emails etc.
The reason for the hard copy, is I've lost a hard drive in the past, and it was no fun at all:censored:

Reactions: btharmy

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I make up an extra O&M manual for each project and file it away.
The project manual gets filed with the O&M.
And I also keep a digital copy of all of the above, which includes all of the emails etc.
The reason for the hard copy, is I've lost a hard drive in the past, and it was no fun at all:censored:
carbonite, backblaze, crashplan, livedrive, mozy, sugarsync........or any number of online backup

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My low tech file system consists of , a Rubbermaid file tub, 6 expandable file envelopes, paper clips and a desk stapler.

After each job is competed, all paperwork for that job gets stapled together.

At the end of the day, all paperwork for the day is paper clipped together and placed in the expandable envelope.

Each envelope holds a months worth of work orders and gets placed in the file tub in order.

I kept the paperwork on a 6 month rotation. At the end of 6 months, the oldest envelopes contents were shredded and the empty envelope is available for the newest months paperwork.

I kept the tub in my van for quick access.

When the Business Office or another Tech called with a question about a job, all I needed was a date of the job, and I could find it the file tub in less than a minute.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
My system consists of electronic invoicing, an iPhone, a computer, and printer, and a bunch of manilla folders. My CPA suggests retaining these business records for at least 7 years in case of an IRS audit. As for a client list my Contacts app on my iPhone (and backed up to iCloud) is what I use and know no other way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a working folder (Manila) that I keep at my desk that has mostly info generated while the job is active.Also, we keep a job folder (green) that has the permit,signed contract,OM,Lot PO's,draw request forms,NTO info and all invoices and packing slips.

This makes it easier for us to find the important info if someone else goes looking for it.
We file both together when the job is finished and reuse the manilla.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
Two hole punch and the clips for same, cause always remember this: Loose paper is lost paper...

Reactions: btharmy

·
Registered
257 Posts
For me, photos get stored in iPhoto as "<year> - <customer name> - <project name or description>"

Contacts are stored in my Contacts app on iCloud to be synced to all of my devices, as well as stored in the customer's record on my invoicing app (using WaveApps.com)

Contracts and other documents are scanned and stored in Documents on my MacBook by 'Customer -> Year -> Project'

Then all of my data is synced with Time Machine to a Time Capsule at the house and at the office. This way I have my own off site backup without having to pay for a service. Each gets updated daily and are on opposite ends of town. I also have a portable hard drive backup with Time Machine as well in case of electrical damage and it remains in the truck with encryption.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.