Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
415 Posts
I can't think of anyone better at ET than you to buy one and let us know how it works out, cause if it'll work in Vermont it'll work anywhere.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
Solar concentrates have been tried before. As the owner of a fixed solar array, I can tell you that tracking is unnecessary. I get a lot of power, more than 50% as soon as the sun comes up in the morning. Also, as cells heat up their output drops. Which a concentrator will only exasperate.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Maybe this what he meant !

ex·as·per·ate audio (g-zsp-rt) KEY

TRANSITIVE VERB:
ex·as·per·at·ed, ex·as·per·at·ing, ex·as·per·ates 1. To make very angry or impatient; annoy greatly.
2. To increase the gravity or intensity of: "a scene . . . that exasperates his rose fever and makes him sneeze" (Samuel Beckett).

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I used this incorrectly for years, had an English teacher make me research it and report on it to the class under threat of failing my class...

In the original Latin meaning, exasperare means "irritate to anger". You cannot make an inanimate object angry.

Exacerbate is inclusive of acerbe, meaning bitter or sour tasting, and means to increase the severity or poor quality of something.

You can exacerbate a situation, which can exasperate the person responsible for the situation.

As used in the original sentence, it should have been exacerbate.

Samuel Becket was wrong, unless Rose Fever was his girlfriend...

Reactions: CADPoint

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Solar concentrates have been tried before. As the owner of a fixed solar array, I can tell you that tracking is unnecessary. I get a lot of power, more than 50% as soon as the sun comes up in the morning. Also, as cells heat up their output drops. Which a concentrator will only exasperate.
I have seen a number of concentrator companies come and go, burning up a lot of investor money in the process (none of mine thank goodness). Not one of them has survived. Might be that this is the reason...

Most of the tracker people are still around though, it's a proven 6-10% gain for grid connected systems, where they are not concerned about batteries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts