Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Job spec says no splicing of feeders

Nicked a direct buried 250KCM AL conductor during backfill - I would like to cut, compression butt splice, and apply a cold shrink or Scotchcast resin.

To me this is a repair and not the intent of the spec, any one have any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
To me this is a repair and not the intent of the spec, any one have any thoughts?
I see it as a splice.

I also see it as the intent of the spec.

My opinion doesn't count.

Its worth a shot to ask tho.

Reactions: BBQ

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
well.....at this point only you would know

and if there is ever any repair needed for this line you would likely be responsible for it

myself I would probably repull it

how long and difficult of a run?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Agreed, it's a repair, but the repair method is a splice, and the spec doesn't permit splices.

Is the conductor damaged, or just the jacket?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't usually get into these "is it OK to do this?" threads, but what you propose is unequivocally going to be a splice. There is simply no other way to classify it. The second you touch it with a rabbit gun, you are committed to the joining of TWO DISTINCTLY SEPARATE wires by mechanical means... exactly what the job spec would prohibit.

It MIGHT be considered a repair if you could slide a heat shrink boot over the nick to repair the insulation.

If I were the client, I absolutely wouldn't permit a "repair" as you describe.

Mark

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, anything I do is submitted as an RFI to the engineer.

So I'm not trying to get away with anything, secondly I'm not arguing that it's not a splice. I said that I don't think it's the intent of the spec.

And anyone who has run work for a significant period of time and says they have never sat in a trailer and argued a spec with an engineer because him or one of his guys missed something, is full of it! Lol

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Running parallel sets of Larger conductors for voltage drop and then bugging down to a smaller conductor for terminating.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

Nicked a direct buried 250KCM AL conductor during backfill - I would like to cut, compression butt splice, and apply a cold shrink or Scotchcast resin.

File a claim under E & O on your business insurance to cover replacing the damaged wire.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not enough that I would bother with a insurance claim.

I just can't see how a properly applied, irreversible crimp and DB rated splice kit would effect the performance at all.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
It's not enough that I would bother with a insurance claim.

I just can't see how a properly applied, irreversible crimp and DB rated splice kit would effect the performance at all.
It probably wouldn't be an issue if done properly. That being said, the engineer may not accept your repair. Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

IF it's just nicked, then use a wrap-around epoxy tube to "repair" the insulation, without actually cutting the cable. No "splice" but definitely a "repair."

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The 2 real questions here are: 1) do you trust your repair skills 2) do you think you can get away with it without getting caught.

If you answered yes to both, I'd do a bulletproof repair on that insulation, and never speak a word about it to anyone till after the warranty is expired. Sleep like a baby.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
First, anything I do is submitted as an RFI to the engineer.

So I'm not trying to get away with anything, secondly I'm not arguing that it's not a splice. I said that I don't think it's the intent of the spec.

And anyone who has run work for a significant period of time and says they have never sat in a trailer and argued a spec with an engineer because him or one of his guys missed something, is full of it! Lol
And there you go, If he signs off on it you are GTG, if not your scrap pile grows. It's a win-win.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Job spec says no splicing of feeders.

If you simply repair the insulation, it's not a splice. Once you cut it and splice it, well...you know.

And, I assume it is a feeder?

Doesn't hurt to ask
Not necessarily true. Sometime DADT is a good policy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts