Electrician Talk banner

splices in conduit bodies

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  five.five-six 
#1 ·
If you have to splice an EGC (no other splices) in a conduit body do you have to install a grounding jumper?

If you splice ccc's in a conduit body do you have to install a grounding jumper?

I need code references.

#4 ·
butcher733 said:
250.148 addresses boxes. I'm under the impression that boxes and condulets are two different things.
I see that. As far as I know "conduit body" isn't specifically mentioned anywhere in 250, the article I mentioned is as close as it comes which is close enough for some people I'm sure. Maybe it's referenced in the listing or something. Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about stops by because I'd like a definitive answer on this too

#7 ·
How would you bond it anyways? I say no bonding needed only because there is no way to bond it. I think it voids UL to do any kind of drilling and tapping on condulets. Plus I've never been called out on it. I don't splice in condulets often but when I have I have never bonded them.

#10 ·
Shop talk really. You have to bond in a FS box even if you don't put a device in it and they are constructed just like conduit bodies. The code draws a distinction in art. 100 that FS boxes are not considered consumers though. Just curious as to why the NEC let's you splice in conduit bodies and does not address the need to bond or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.