Electrician Talk banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,842 Posts
Does anyone have an answer for Ontario? Lately it's been about ALberta, which is fine and dandy and all that but I'm trying to find an answer for Ontario. The codebook makes it seem like it would be fine but I'm getting mixed replies from everywhere.
There is no specific CEC or OESC code that says you can not do it.

And again, there is a volume stamped on it for a reason and that reason is for box fill, not conduit fill.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My boss says we can't put marrette's and splices in things like LB's and T's but I don't see why not? It's marked by a volume and the code doesn't say anything against it. Is he right that you can't do this?
Your boss is absolutely correct! The CEC does not permit it!

12-912, 12-3000(1) and the most important one 2-024(1). Feel free to consult the front of the code book for definitions. :wink:

Have a nice weekend! :devil3:

Borgi

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,842 Posts
Your boss is absolutely correct! The CEC does not permit it!

12-912, 12-3000(1) and the most important one 2-024(1). Feel free to consult the front of the code book for definitions. :wink:

Have a nice weekend! :devil3:

Borgi
Neither of those codes say you can not make a splice in an LB. LB's have a volume stamped on them for only one purpose, box fill. They are considered an "equivalent device" by many provinces, including Ontario and Alberta. Feel free to review your post #79 for clarification :wink:

12-912 There shall be no joints or slices in conductors or cables within raceways, except in the case of busways, wireways, cable trays and surface raceways with removable covers.

12-3000(1) A box or equivalent device shall be installed at every point of outlet, switch or junction of conduit

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,842 Posts
Neither of those codes say you can not make a splice in an LB. LB's have a volume stamped on them for only one purpose, box fill. They are considered an "equivalent device" by many provinces, including Ontario and Alberta. Feel free to review your post #79 for clarification

12-912 There shall be no joints or slices in conductors or cables within raceways, except in the case of busways, wireways, cable trays and surface raceways with removable covers.

12-3000(1) A box or equivalent device shall be installed at every point of outlet, switch or junction of conduit
Oh, and I forgot the most important one, 2-024, use of approved equipment.

*see the bullets in the product description below for what the product is approved for, especially the fourth one where it says “ for use as a chamber for making splices and taps”

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/crouse-hinds/commercial_products/products/commercial_fittings/rigid_imc/lbnec_series_mogulpullingelbowsforrigidimcfittings.html

Another point about why they are approved for splices is there is a volume stamped on them. For instance, pull 90’s do not have a stamped volume so they are not meant for splices. If LB’s were not approved for splices, there would not be a volume stamped on them, just like all other approved boxes have.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've done that before and thanks.
Usually im running 1/2 emt (I know another subject! ) and don't have room. Also I want to keep the condulet watertight if outside.
I will try again and see if it's doable, I don't like the wrap around method myself but don't want to leave it ungrounded.

Sink a fine thread wafer tek screw into the back of the condulet. I wouldn't do it in an explosion proof environment but I'd trust it to be at least as water tight as the cover gasket secured by an aluminum cover.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts