Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short there are some 600 mcm feeders that due to settling are getting to the point of being to short. I talked with a contractor today about possibly splicing on a short piece to the end to save them. I'm just curious what would be the best option for wire this big. Big hydraulic crimp barrel? Polaris type lugs ? Old school eye barrels and tape? I don't have any knowledge of splicing this big of wire (hence bring in a contractor) but just want to learn what's out there.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
So long story short there are some 600 mcm feeders that due to settling are getting to the point of being to short. I talked with a contractor today about possibly splicing on a short piece to the end to save them. I'm just curious what would be the best option for wire this big. Big hydraulic crimp barrel? Polaris type lugs ? Old school eye barrels and tape? I don't have any knowledge of splicing this big of wire (hence bring in a contractor) but just want to learn what's out there.
600 mcm CU compression sleeves, $36 each.
600 mcm AL compression sleeves, $62 each.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So are these things that you crimp on with a big hydraulic crimper? I assume so. Do they sell appropriate insulation sleeves or tape them up with the rubber tape or ?

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
2,022 Posts
Not all contractors concern themselves with making sure the crimp is a listed crimp, one made with a tool that the manufacturer says is acceptable. Even supply houses have tried to steer me to using their favorite lugs with their rental tool. It kind of irritated me when I discovered that their tool was not listed to be used with the lugs they sold me.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,622 Posts
The hydraulic crimpers for 600 are not all that big or heavy but they will wear your arms out quickly. I like the 4 jaw dieless ones best but if you get the right dies, the others are fine.

There are battery operated ones, you might be able to rent one somewhere.

I've almost always used heat shrink with them.

I don't know if setscrew butt splices are available in 600, I've used them in smaller sizes with good luck.

The crimper I like best is one I sort of hacked together......it's a Square D (made by Anderson) 4 jaw dieless head connected to an air-over-hydraulic pump. Get the head lined up then using either a hand, knee or foot, push down on the pump lever and the compressor does all the work.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never checked into renting one, not sure if anyone around here would have such a thing. I'll have to ask around just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
2,022 Posts
Get the heat shrink with glue in it and use a electric heat gun. Start in the middle and work to the ends (so air doesn't get trapped). Its done when you see glue start to come out between the wire and heat shrink.
Blow torch can be used but it takes a lot more experience.
Also, make sure you spread the heat all around, 360 degrees.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This project will involve taking a 3x3 box off the wall and pulling the wires from the mcc out the wall of the building to repair a bunch of conduit etc. I simply don't have the man power to wrestle the 600s around in the time frame I have so have to bring in extra help. I figure at max I have a day and a half I can comfortably shut the plant down. Not to mention I don't have the experience to confidently do it without help. I plan on working alongside the contractor so it will be a good chance to pick up some extra knowledge. I looked briefly at a crimper but this would literally be the only time I would use it probably so pretty hard to justify buying one, I'll have to ask the contractor and the supply house if anyone around here has one for rent.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
466 Posts
This project will involve taking a 3x3 box off the wall and pulling the wires from the mcc out the wall of the building to repair a bunch of conduit etc. I simply don't have the man power to wrestle the 600s around in the time frame I have so have to bring in extra help. I figure at max I have a day and a half I can comfortably shut the plant down. Not to mention I don't have the experience to confidently do it without help. I plan on working alongside the contractor so it will be a good chance to pick up some extra knowledge. I looked briefly at a crimper but this would literally be the only time I would use it probably so pretty hard to justify buying one, I'll have to ask the contractor and the supply house if anyone around here has one for rent.
Not to sound rude but there’s nothing worse than a maintenance guy trying to help out. Just hire
Someone who has the tools and the man power and let them do what they do and stay out of the way

·
Hackenschmidt
12,231 Posts
There are polaris type insulated connectors available for 600mcm, all the way up to 750mcm I think even with the rental of the crimper you'd be ahead price wise with crimps but not that much, and renting and returning is another chore on your list. If you want a side-by-side splice rather than a butt splice the polaris type has an additional advantage. The big insulated connectors come in black for UV resistance and I've seen them used outdoors but I haven't seen one wet location rated. (I am not sure where you would want UV resistance that it doesn't rain...)

Reliability of the connector - I think most would vote crimps. Time wise the polaris type connectors would have the advantage, and it's harder to do wrong. Realistically, if someone doesn't use the crimper enough to be proficient, the polaris type might be more reliable.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,050 Posts
Split bolts and gobs of rubber splicing tape.
I was going to say Split Bolts also but I’m not in my truck today to take a picture of one big enough.
Also he needs rolls of friction tape to keep that old school feel.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts