Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short there are some 600 mcm feeders that due to settling are getting to the point of being to short. I talked with a contractor today about possibly splicing on a short piece to the end to save them. I'm just curious what would be the best option for wire this big. Big hydraulic crimp barrel? Polaris type lugs ? Old school eye barrels and tape? I don't have any knowledge of splicing this big of wire (hence bring in a contractor) but just want to learn what's out there.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So are these things that you crimp on with a big hydraulic crimper? I assume so. Do they sell appropriate insulation sleeves or tape them up with the rubber tape or ?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never checked into renting one, not sure if anyone around here would have such a thing. I'll have to ask around just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This project will involve taking a 3x3 box off the wall and pulling the wires from the mcc out the wall of the building to repair a bunch of conduit etc. I simply don't have the man power to wrestle the 600s around in the time frame I have so have to bring in extra help. I figure at max I have a day and a half I can comfortably shut the plant down. Not to mention I don't have the experience to confidently do it without help. I plan on working alongside the contractor so it will be a good chance to pick up some extra knowledge. I looked briefly at a crimper but this would literally be the only time I would use it probably so pretty hard to justify buying one, I'll have to ask the contractor and the supply house if anyone around here has one for rent.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've worked with this contractor a lot in the past on projects here, so it's not like we are strangers. It's one of those deals where he will take care of certain aspects of the project and I'll take care of certain other aspects of the project. I'll certainly be there to make sure it goes smooth and lend a hand when the need arises.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The splices are going to be either inside a large pull box on the outside of the building or inside the mcc, so there shouldn't be any splices in the actual conduit.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Those shearbolts look pretty cool, they look like a serious chunk of change though I bet. Which everything this size is. Was quoted 21 bucks a foot for wire today. Right now I'm thinking we will end up doing 24 splices. 2 each on 12 wires to add a loop in the middle. We could unterminate the mcc pull slack back to the box and add on the end with only 1 splice per wire then reterminate in the mcc, but... My thinking is there is a higher risk of failure due to the better chance of damaging the wire trying to wrestle it out and back in and reterminate than the extra splice would ever cause. In the end the contractor will be responsible for the splices, I'm just an observer with a curious mind that always wants to know how other poeple do this work.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So to take this on a little bit of a nerdy detour. I've been researching these crimps trying to wrap my head around it all. It appears that the "U style" is the most popular. I've also ran across a "w style" plus a bunch of proprietary named stuff, as well as some hex shaped stuff etc. I'm assuming the "u style" at least is standardized with standard dimensions etc? I can't find any good tech details on these crimps. Coming from a past in hydraulics etc I'm used to stuff like JIC fitting where everything is standardized and there is technical information out there. Or is it that everyone makes their own lugs and their own dies and gets them listed together just so you have to keep buying from the same company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.