Electrician Talk banner

Splicing large (600 mcm) wire

3889 55
So long story short there are some 600 mcm feeders that due to settling are getting to the point of being to short. I talked with a contractor today about possibly splicing on a short piece to the end to save them. I'm just curious what would be the best option for wire this big. Big hydraulic crimp barrel? Polaris type lugs ? Old school eye barrels and tape? I don't have any knowledge of splicing this big of wire (hence bring in a contractor) but just want to learn what's out there.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,260 Posts
Not all contractors concern themselves with making sure the crimp is a listed crimp, one made with a tool that the manufacturer says is acceptable. Even supply houses have tried to steer me to using their favorite lugs with their rental tool. It kind of irritated me when I discovered that their tool was not listed to be used with the lugs they sold me.

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,260 Posts
Get the heat shrink with glue in it and use a electric heat gun. Start in the middle and work to the ends (so air doesn't get trapped). Its done when you see glue start to come out between the wire and heat shrink.
Blow torch can be used but it takes a lot more experience.
Also, make sure you spread the heat all around, 360 degrees.

Reactions: MikeFL and mburtis
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.