Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
13,465 Posts
There are polaris type insulated connectors available for 600mcm, all the way up to 750mcm I think even with the rental of the crimper you'd be ahead price wise with crimps but not that much, and renting and returning is another chore on your list. If you want a side-by-side splice rather than a butt splice the polaris type has an additional advantage. The big insulated connectors come in black for UV resistance and I've seen them used outdoors but I haven't seen one wet location rated. (I am not sure where you would want UV resistance that it doesn't rain...)

Reliability of the connector - I think most would vote crimps. Time wise the polaris type connectors would have the advantage, and it's harder to do wrong. Realistically, if someone doesn't use the crimper enough to be proficient, the polaris type might be more reliable.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,465 Posts
The crimp stuff is very idiot proof. On my crimper I hold the trigger until it finishes and retracts. On my manual you squeeze until the pressure relief trips.
The thing with the manual is it takes two hands and those hands can't be close to the work, so you kind of want a third hand to hold the wire in the connector.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,465 Posts
Regarding maintenance and contractor working together, for me that depends. I have a number of customers I work side by side with their maintenance people and it works out well all around. Some places they have better things to do than help me. Some places they are just in the way.

A few times I've had management change at a company and for a while and someone gets a bug up their ass about cutting out the outside contractors, and they want to have maintenance "shadow" me at all times so they can learn to do it themselves. I used to get very pissed about this, now I just roll my eyes, it doesn't amount to anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.