Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
I have often wondered that too. The house next door has one but I really never understood why. Do they still make them?
Thanks LC

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
6 throw rule. Cheaper to have a 60 amp main over a 100, 125, 150 or 200amp main.

Dumb idea, since a whole lot went wrong.
Yup. 100A MLO with appliances at the top and a 60A feeding the GP loads on the lower buss. Novel idea, but they end up getting loaded with tandems top and bottom buss anyway. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
I had one in Ohio years ago, it was nice to shut off the bus for changing breakers and maintenance but still have lighting. Not a big deal but kinda cool.
That would be backwards.
The lighting bus breaker was one of the mains, stove, water heater, pump, etc were also mains. Up to six throws.
I don't see the harm in them, it was kind of a slick idea.

I had an engineer turn one down saying that someone modified the bus, and described exactly what a split bus panel was. I called him and asked him about it. His response was, of course I know what a split bus panel is. I think he was full of poo poo.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I recycle the guts of them. They come in handy for lighting panels. I did a $30k landscape line voltage job. I used the bottom half for pc controlled lights. I hit a contactor in between.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The split buss panels were all about being cheaper, in both usages of the word. A lot of the split buss panel installers were also the aluminum Romex jerkers.

I never installed either, but have seen plenty of both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.