Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I missing here? A couple of split receptacles in a clients kitchen were installed with the breakaway tab intact. Why didn't they trip the double pole 15 amp breaker all these years?

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
28 Posts
One leg was switched? One leg wasn't landed upstream, but customer never noticed because tab wasn't broken?
It'll be a mystery forever...

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,377 Posts
If the tab is not broken you couldn't possibly have 240V split receptacle. One leg or the other is not making it to the receptacle. There is either a joint not made up somewhere between the breaker and the receptacle, a break in the wire, or you have matched the wrong breaker to that receptacle.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,827 Posts
Broken wire someplace. Wire blown in two someplace.........

Edit.....nevermind, Joe beat me to it.......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the tab is not broken you couldn't possibly have 240V split receptacle. One leg or the other is not making it to the receptacle. There is either a joint not made up somewhere between the breaker and the receptacle, a break in the wire, or you have matched the wrong breaker to that receptacle.
Ill try to explain. There was a small 240v blueline subpanel feeding the kitchen circuits. This sub panel was fed from a 40 amp 2 pole breaker in the main panel. The kitchen splits are fed from the blueline sub panel with 2pole 15 amp breakers. The kitchen receptacles have a black and a red and the tab was not broken, they worked for all of their devices.
Now I came in and replaced the main panel. I wired the existing sub panel feed to the new panel and when I turned it on poof! SO I investigated and found the splits tabs werent removed scratching my head.
I should mention that I installed a new 6 ground wire because the old 12/2 ground was disconnect at the water meter.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,377 Posts
I've never worked with a blueline panel but I googled some pictures of the breakers. They look like a half space breaker where a 2 pole breaker could be plugged into a single bus stab like a federal stablok. Is this the case?

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never worked with a blueline panel but I googled some pictures of the breakers. They look like a half space breaker where a 2 pole breaker could be plugged into a single bus stab like a federal stablok. Is this the case?
No I thought this too but its impossible to use a 2 pole breaker and get 120V.

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
28 Posts
Maybe one leg of the subpanel feed wasn't landed properly before you replaced the old main panel? Then the unbroken tabs would be feeding back into the subpanel, powering both busses off the same leg.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,415 Posts
One of the breakers of the split in the blue line panel was tripped, but it didn’t show, the breaker looked to be on but wasn’t. Common problem with those old breakers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
One of the breakers of the split in the blue line panel was tripped, but it didn’t show, the breaker looked to be on but wasn’t. Common problem with those old breakers.
Op didn’t touch the blue line panel though. He came in and swapped the main panel. I’d put good money on that blue line panel has never had 240 volts. As far as we know the only thing in this circuit that’s changed is the breaker feeding the sub panel so almost certainly that’s where the problem was.

If it were me I’d want to Meg those kitchen circuits to make sure they didn’t burn through a neutral.

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
It’s one of those things where you wire it correctly and a week later you think about it and go, “Duh”.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts