Electrician Talk banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Doesn't seem like the OP has a good grasp of the fundamentals.
So it appears you do lets here the solution or at least some form of constructive opinion. Or are you just one of those jobsite dbags who has to have some useless **** to say at all times? Me thinks the latter. Now go back under your bridge where you belong troll and stay there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, if there was more than one receptacle wired this way, I think we can eliminate it being a fluke.
As mentioned, I'd say the most likely culprit would be the sub feed breaker was only on one phase in the StabLok panel. I think we've all done it. If there were no 240v loads on the sub you'd never really know. 50A is the biggest FPE 2 pole that will fit in a single spot. 60 and up require 2 full spaces on the buss.
If you're not that familiar with StabLok panels it's easily understandable.
The neutral on the sub would be carrying all the load in this case.
If nothing else changed such as counter top switches, receptacles, I see this being the most logical answer. Maybe at some point in time a kitchen reno was done, and whoever did the wiring wasn't a licenced electrician like us, and there were multiple errors made that never resulted in there being any noticeable problems.
If you're still there maybe suggest to the customer that you should have a look at anything fed out of the sub, just to be safe.
No disrespect intended.

·
Registered
Retired IBEW inside wireman
265 Posts
Just to throw this into the mix....Problem at nephew's house.One pole of a 2-pole breaker would not re set.(no handle tie), As I pulled the breaker out-found out both poles are on the same phase! One stab point....some old Bryant brand or other 70's kind.Something like this, maybe?

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,367 Posts
Just to throw this into the mix....Problem at nephew's house.One pole of a 2-pole breaker would not re set.(no handle tie), As I pulled the breaker out-found out both poles are on the same phase! One stab point....some old Bryant brand or other 70's kind.Something like this, maybe?
Something like that, exactly!

Reactions: ohm it hertz

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
224 Posts
Well, if there was more than one receptacle wired this way, I think we can eliminate it being a fluke.
As mentioned, I'd say the most likely culprit would be the sub feed breaker was only on one phase in the StabLok panel. I think we've all done it. If there were no 240v loads on the sub you'd never really know. 50A is the biggest FPE 2 pole that will fit in a single spot. 60 and up require 2 full spaces on the buss.
If you're not that familiar with StabLok panels it's easily understandable.
The neutral on the sub would be carrying all the load in this case.
If nothing else changed such as counter top switches, receptacles, I see this being the most logical answer. Maybe at some point in time a kitchen reno was done, and whoever did the wiring wasn't a licenced electrician like us, and there were multiple errors made that never resulted in there being any noticeable problems.
If you're still there maybe suggest to the customer that you should have a look at anything fed out of the sub, just to be safe.
No disrespect intended.
You know, he never mentioned it was a FPE panel. Subpanel was blueline, no make given on the original main. FPE was suggested by others.... so no need to jump on him like that.

Like others have said, either the 2 pole 40A feeding the sub panel was somehow only on one buss and back-fed through those receptacles, or it tripped one leg when the receptacles were installed and looks like it never tripped, also back-fed through those receptacles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What am I missing here? A couple of split receptacles in a clients kitchen were installed with the breakaway tab intact. Why didn't they trip the double pole 15 amp breaker all these years?
Both legs were likely tied together, perhaps during a remodel or panel upgrade. I often to this to MWBCs when I have to upgrade to AFCI breakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What am I missing here? A couple of split receptacles in a clients kitchen were installed with the breakaway tab intact. Why didn't they trip the double pole 15 amp breaker all these years?
Fifteen amp in the kitchen ? must have been a really old dwelling.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts