Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Wrong bonding clamp. Needs to be brass not galvanized. Dont have a code book in front of me to find the article though.
You won't find that in a code book. That clamp is zinc and it's all I use.

Magnettica, I don't have my codebook here and I am not sure if it's in it. But it looks like the clamp is on the meter's pipe which means you would have to remove the clamp to unscrew that fitting in order to remove the meter. I had an inspector cite that to me once, he let me move it over to another part of the pipe (that's why I like going to inspections).

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
egruhadfio said:
You won't find that in a code book. That clamp is zinc and it's all I use. Magnettica, I don't have my codebook here and I am not sure if it's in it. But it looks like the clamp is on the meter's pipe which means you would have to remove the clamp to unscrew that fitting in order to remove the meter. I had an inspector cite that to me once, he let me move it over to another part of the pipe (that's why I like going to inspections).
That didn't take long!

You're right.

Code: 110.3(A)(8)

·
Banned
43 Posts
I win a cookie!

I gotta admit, it makes me shiver seeing so much gold go to waste there. I've become a complete aluminum addict.

I just checked Cooper, #4 Cu is 77 cents/ft while #2 Al is 25 cents/ft.

A lot of times the water comes into the house on the opposite side as the electric, so for an average GEC run of 50-60' that's a cost difference of $25-30. Free profit for the taking :thumbup:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,143 Posts
Catch the ten foot buried water pipe outside the building and don't worry about the cost of running all over the place to get to it. 5' is an interior requirement not an exterior one.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,432 Posts
I am surprised that they allow the connection after the meter. IMO, the connection for the grounding electrode conductor should be before the meter and a bonding jumper to the load side of the meter

·
Banned
43 Posts
I am surprised that they allow the connection after the meter. IMO, the connection for the grounding electrode conductor should be before the meter and a bonding jumper to the load side of the meter
That is the bonding jumper that you are looking at.

You can see the other clamp on the other side of the meter, right about the valve.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dennis Alwon said:
Seriously? Of course it's jumped. I'm showing the violation.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,463 Posts
That nut on the meter right next to the ground clamp has to be unthreaded, it looks like the copper wire might impede it from being fully unthreaded (and then slid back to remove the meter).
What should it matter to the inspector/AHJ how hard it would be to remove a meter as long as the pipe is grounded/bonded and jumpered around the meter?

·
Banned
43 Posts
What should it matter to the inspector/AHJ how hard it would be to remove a meter as long as the pipe is grounded/bonded and jumpered around the meter?
Read Post #12:

The point of the jumper is so that the meter can be removed/serviced without breaking the bond.

In the picture (and in the story I told of this happening to me as well) the meter can't be removed without removing that ground clamp.
What's the point in having the jumper if someone is going to likely remove it in the same exact instance that warrants it's original installation?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,463 Posts
Read Post #12:

What's the point in having the jumper if someone is going to likely remove it in the same exact instance that warrants it's original installation?

I said as long as it's jumpered around. I was talking about the part about having a hard time removing the meter because of the clamp. I'm talking about the OP picture. That meter can be removed without removing the clamps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.