Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering wiring a co-workers basement for him. 2x6 exterior walls and going to have spray foam installed. Any pointers as far as roughing in boxes, running wire, etc? I have never wired a house thats having spray foam installed. I do industrial work so any pointers would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Stay ahead of them, use MC, take picture of all work (editted - per picture with good location shots).

Frankly .1/2" EMT if it's not that much to do. (totally MO)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you still have to install a vapor cover around the jb's so the foam doesn't expand into them?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Do you still have to install a vapor cover around the jb's so the foam doesn't expand into them?
I've never had much problem with that. If it's closed cell foam, it'll probably only be about 3" thick. If it's a 2x6 wall it won't even cover much of your box. Around here if you install closed cell you don't need a vapor barrier behind the sheetrock. The other nice thing is, if they do it right, they'll spray shut all the holes you drill through the plate. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tape over boxes so no foam gets inside.

Where I am located, a vapor boot is still required because they still do put on the poly sheeting.

The main issue with spray foam is that when it settles/cures on a wire, it causes the jacket of the wire to turn brittle. So any pulling of the wire after the insulation is done could cause jacket to crumble off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tape over boxes so no foam gets inside.

Where I am located, a vapor boot is still required because they still do put on the poly sheeting.

The main issue with spray foam is that when it settles/cures on a wire, it causes the jacket of the wire to turn brittle. So any pulling of the wire after the insulation is done could cause jacket to crumble off.
The plastic boxes made by Hubbell, T & B, etc...for exterior walls, are solid, and when you push cable into box through foam liner, its basically seal sealing. So no need for plastic vapor barriers. Seem to work pretty good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The plastic boxes made by Hubbell, T & B, etc...for exterior walls, are solid, and when you push cable into box through foam liner, its basically seal sealing. So no need for plastic vapor barriers. Seem to work pretty good.
Yea you can buy the boxes with the foam gasket but they cost a little more than a plastic box with no gasket and using vapor boot

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Yup, true enough!
I used them on one job and the taper hated them because the gasket and flange pushes the sheetrock out so he had to mud an area around the box to blend it in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used them on one job and the taper hated them because the gasket and flange pushes the sheetrock out so he had to mud an area around the box to blend it in.
I have a taper complaining to me that my pot lights are doing the same thing. I've never heard complaints about the nuteck boxes tho. We have used them for years and without issues.

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,336 Posts
Something went wrong here. We use these all the time. Working on apartment buildings right now and there are lots of them being used. Never an issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We do have problems like that on occasion in duplexes in the parting walls. Guys can't work a tape measure to correctly space the box an extra 1/2 inch for the double drywall. Often drywallers over cut with the rotozip which is a real pita to mount floating devices too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seen it done on two job sites recently, closed foam hasn't been an issue and the bleed into the boxes has been minimal at best. I'll be doing this to my home in the spring.
But triple check all your work, God help you if you miss something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts