Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I asked Square if there was any way for a customer to pay online with a credit card. Up til now if you weren't physically with the customer and able to swipe their card (for 2.75% fee) your only other option would be to take their credit card number over the phone (and pay 3.25% plus some other small fee).

I didn't mind the higher percent as much as the lack of security, customers don't want to read their CC number to other people over the phone.

What Square needed is a web based interface, and that's what they finally have now. You may not see it yet, it seems like it's still a beta stage and I have access because I inquired about it in the past.

They allow you to send an invoice to someone via e-mail. A link will be included in the e-mail invoice that they can click and go to Square's secure website to pay with their credit card. I just did it to myself, it took a few seconds to send it so it's nice and easy. It's also easy for the customer.

Using this feature is only 2.75% fee, but, you only get 5 invoices per month (which is more than enough for me). If you need to send out more than 5 per month, you will have to upgrade to unlimited invoices which costs only $20 per month.

This will work out well for deposits on jobs. Often I will give an estimate for something like a service change and the customer will get back to me later. When they call and say they want the work done, instead of me saying that I will come by to pickup a check for the deposit I can just e-mail them the invoice and have them pay by CC if they like. Of course there are many other uses for this as well.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Sounds good!

I already have this with my estimating/invoicing software (Freshbooks), but it goes through Paypal which I don't really care for, and don't think most customers really care for. Hopefully Freshbooks will integrate that Square online payment processing. Another sweet feature!

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
**I cleaned this thread up and re-opened it. PLEASE stop the childish bickering.**

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Personally, I don't see a problem either way. But I do like having the option of taking a CC via the web.
That said, I also have a business PayPal account. Just last month I did two transactions though it. Send an invoice and they pay it.
On another job the guy used his SquareWallet right on the jobsite. Sent an invoice to him and nothing other than his email was entered. No CC numbers, no swipe. Pertty much just like PayPal. He says he uses Square Wallet all the time in NYC since so many places take it.

There are SO many options these days. If you don't like, need or want the functions or options of one method, just ignore it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Convenience :rolleyes:
Only for the client. If I have the client on the phone I get the cc info and run the card that day. Sending an invoice just allows the client to treat me as a bank. Before we had the ability to take cards in the field we used paypal and called in to the office to run CC and when clients called to accept proposals we took payment over the phone. Convienience was being able to swipe cards in the field.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
This will work out well for deposits on jobs. Often I will give an estimate for something like a service change and the customer will get back to me later. When they call and say they want the work done, instead of me saying that I will come by to pickup a check for the deposit I can just e-mail them the invoice and have them pay by CC if they like. Of course there are many other uses for this as well.
This is the convenience of it. Pretty simple and nice I guess. They have the quote, they can sign it, and process the CC right then and there.....Isn't it important to make things convenient for our busy customers, as well as for us? This seems to kill two birds with one stone. Now Hack can go out and sell more jobs instead of processing paperwork and CC.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Thanks to the Target hackery , the whole thing is going to change to European style chip and pin credit cards starting this next October 2014. The current readers out there will all be rendered obsolete. Supposedly these style cards which are not in major use in N. America but are every where else , are much harder for thieves to counterfeit. But the little square Iphone type readers won't cut it. At least for now. The cost to fix the Target mess far outweighs the cost of the whole conversion , so now it is going to happen. Not sure yet how this is going to effect all us "field" guys who have been using phone scanners.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind not being able to scan the credit card if I could instead tell the customer to go over to their computer and pay right thru Square's website. With my iPad in hand, I can have an e-mail sent to them with a link to the invoice page before they sit down.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Credit cards should incorporate the same feature debit cards do - a secret pin number that is NOT encrypted on the card itself. If this was the case, 1000 stolen credit card numbers would be useless without the combination pin needed to complete the transaction. Of course, this would make it impossible to mail an order in, but who does that these days anyway?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Credit cards should incorporate the same feature debit cards do - a secret pin number that is NOT encrypted on the card itself. If this was the case, 1000 stolen credit card numbers would be useless without the combination pin needed to complete the transaction. Of course, this would make it impossible to mail an order in, but who does that these days anyway?
the three digit code on the back was suppose to do that. the problem with codes is they are vulnerable to theft if they get stored. The bad part is thieves will hit your card for a small amount that they hope goes unnoticed and is under the 50 dollar limit you are liable for.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds good!

I already have this with my estimating/invoicing software (Freshbooks), but it goes through Paypal which I don't really care for, and don't think most customers really care for. Hopefully Freshbooks will integrate that Square online payment processing. Another sweet feature!
I also use Freshbooks, but I use Stripe as a payment. Customers seem to like it..
I prefer collecting the money on the spot with my Square card reader and iPad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts