Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what's behind the Square D shortage? Supply chain interruption due to :rolleyes::rolleyes:?

There was plenty of Siemens stuff at the shelf at HD. The Leviton stuff is untouched since they brought it into the store. :laughing: I'm sure Depot has been reporting the lack of sales to Leviton. :yes:

My supplier carries Eaton BR and CH. No apparent issues there.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
If Home Depot don't sell x amount of stuff that stuff starts saying bye bye. Hard to believe the GE sells more than Square-D though. Eaton is king ding in my parts.

·
Estwing magic
26,592 Posts
If Home Depot don't sell x amount of stuff that stuff starts saying bye bye. Hard to believe the GE sells more than Square-D though. Eaton is king ding in my parts.
It’s true. One store here cut back on plumber’s pipe because “it wasn’t selling”. The reason it wasn’t selling? They didn’t stock fittings in common sizes. The same store showed EMT in stock but nobody knew where it was.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,113 Posts
Sq D breakers are made in Mexico. My wholesaler claims word from head office is plant shut down due to Covid. They had 70,000 breakers on backorder from the factory as of last week.

Reactions: MTW

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sq D breakers are made in Mexico. My wholesaler claims word from head office is plant shut down due to Covid. They had 70,000 breakers on backorder from the factory as of last week.
That would explain it. It's mostly the AFCI breakers that are hard to find now.

I believe the 1 pole QO and Homeline are made in USA.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,113 Posts
That would explain it. It's mostly the AFCI breakers that are hard to find now.

I believe the 1 pole QO and Homeline are made in USA.
I was going to call BS but you're right!

Just checked my shelves, QO215 "Assembled in Mexico", QO115 "Made in USA":vs_cool:

Your single pole factory still up and running?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I was going to call BS but you're right!

Just checked my shelves, QO215 "Assembled in Mexico", QO115 "Made in USA":vs_cool:

Your single pole factory still up and running?
Sq. D and some others will still maintain typically one small production line in the US because of gov't contracts that specify "Buy American" content. They will only make the highest volume parts there in order to amortize the higher cost over greater volume, like, in this case, QO115s and 120s. The Sq. D plant for QOs used to be in Lincoln, NE. I went there back in 1988, but that was before they had any plants in Mexico, so I'm not sure what's left of it. I was there on a tour because at the time, it was the "most automated circuit breaker production facility in the world" and used Square D Symax PLCs, which is what I was assigned to at the time. Square D sold out to Schneider / Telemecanique about 2 years later and jettisoned the Symax PLC line, so if it's still running, it would be a miracle. Most likely they gutted it when they had to upgrade the PLCs and moved it to Mexico.

·
Registered
377 Posts
All kinds of SqD and Homeline stuff (panels and breakers) out of stock here. I've had to resort to buying from the local hardware on occasion. 2-300% markup from the SH price on some of it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,518 Posts
Anybody know what's behind the Square D shortage? Supply chain interruption due to :rolleyes::rolleyes:?

There was plenty of Siemens stuff at the shelf at HD. The Leviton stuff is untouched since they brought it into the store. :laughing: I'm sure Depot has been reporting the lack of sales to Leviton. :yes:

My supplier carries Eaton BR and CH. No apparent issues there.
A friend of mine has a son who is a distribution warehouse manager in a communist blue State that is still shut down. The health department showed up with the police and informed him that he could not have over 10 employees working at a time. He told them that he could barely keep up with 60 employees. I have not heard yet if that got resolved. I think I would move my warehouses to red states. By-the-way, red state people are moving into our area like crazy.

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,065 Posts
It's unfortunate that there is a shortage of Square-D breakers due to Covid 19.
I normally go through my supplier for parts and just have them delivered to the job site.
Sometimes if I'm in a rush and need a few things I will go to HD or Lowes.
I have noticed that these stores are much more crowded these days and I hate to even go there. Because many people are out of work and just at home they seem to be doing lots of home improvements and DYI stuff. Electrical parts in general seem to be getting scarce at hardware stores because of the rush to buy.

·
Conductor Protector
258 Posts
My supplier told me they had COVID go through a plant in Mexico and in the US of A.
COVID. I know that’s hard for some of you that don’t believe that it’s a real thing. Or that the government is just shutting them down for political reasons. People got sick. I’m sure they want to get their plants running again. The backlog will take awhile for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Estwing magic
26,592 Posts
No relief in site. Schneider isn’t even close to filling orders. I managed to find enough QOB’s for existing jobs but I don’t know about anything beyond that. I was preparing to quote Brand X subs off brand new Square D panels.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,795 Posts
Around here, they’re pricing on bolt-ins is quite good. Eaton is the killer for me.
Just got quoted $263 from one SH and $305 from another for a 3 phase, 20 amp breaker QOB320. Didn't need it in a hurry and told the SH to go shove it. Found one online for $75 new and will be here in 2 days. I'm all for supporting the local SH but not at that price increase.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts