Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need one that is UL listed and the SH cant find a part number for one. Everything on that Interlockkit.com looks good, but again, where's my listing?

I've got a 200 amp MB QO 40 space panel, older model from 1990, has about 1" between the MB and the first set of breakers (I think.....). I want to be positive that I cant get a listed one before I give him a price for a transfer switch.

Any help is appreciated. Needs to be listed.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I lucked out on the last one I bought, found the Square D factory one on Ebay for about 10% of retail (of course I passed the savings on to the customer). It's a long shot, though.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Always take a picture of the panel, always always always.

Always get the model number of the panel too. This is hard with SquareD and Cutler Hammer because they use a different panel cover and panel, so you can't just look at the inside of the door to see the panel's model number, you need to remove the panel cover during the estimate to get it.

SquareD interlocks mainly go with the particular main breaker that is installed in the panel, you could find out which main breaker it is by the model number.

I have a feeling that they don't make an interlock for that 1990 panel and you'll have to use a 3rd party interlock. interlockkit.com makes nice interlocks but they are very expensive. natramelec.com makes interlocks cheaper, but they are made out of plexiglass and look horrible. geninterlock.com is the best option, IMO. Inexpensive, metal, and good quality.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
But is it really a listing? Granted its tested to the same standards by a NRTL, and thats fine, ETL whatever, but is it listed?

·
Banned
95 Posts
But is it really a listing? Granted its tested to the same standards by a NRTL, and thats fine, ETL whatever, but is it listed?
And even if it is, arguing it with an inspector becomes a whole new problem.

Being in NJ, I've learned that if the customer wants a permit/inspection, I have to install an interlock made by the panel's manufacturer and I include the documents with the permit application.

For older panels in which the manufacturer doesn't make an interlock, I give the customer the option of either having me install a new panel (and upgrading grounding) for $1,200+ in addition to the cost of the interlock and generator connection, or just not pulling a permit.

It's very rare that a customer wants a permit so this usually isn't much of an issue. The only time I really pull a permit for an interlock is when installing it in conjunction with a service upgrade.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Hmmmmm, I haven't seen that. Interdasting...
It's a gray area. Seems like there is also an issue with the customer pulling off the whole dead front and bypassing. i can't remember where i read that, but that can also be done with an OEM interlock.

Yeah, NJ is a no go. i'm not sure where MH is located, but he's probably down at Menards already, cuz he's too cheap to buy from interlockkit.:jester:

This is a good read.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/third-party-inteterlock-kit-34172/

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
95 Posts
That's what I'm talking about. Why in the world is my SH not able to track that part number?

We don't have a menards, but the Schneider electric web site should have then.

Why is that part 1/3 the price of the interlock brand?
That is model QOCGK2C which is one of many interlocks that SquareD makes. You can order it from HomeDepot.com or Amazon.com.

The question is, will it work for your panel? I think you'd have a better chance of the QOCRBGK1 working. But as I mentioned above, I am not sure if any of them will work with your older panel. More info/pics are needed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Alright. If I can't find a square D one, I'll print this off and show it to the inspector before I do this job. Thanks.

That's what I'm talking about. Why in the world is my SH not able to track that part number?

We don't have a menards, but the Schneider electric web site should have then.

Why is that part 1/3 the price of the interlock brand?
Knowing the guy who helped create interlockkit.com, they see it as a niche and are pretty avaricious about making bank.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Knowing the guy who helped create interlockkit.com, they see it as a niche and are pretty avaricious about making bank.
They are very good quality interlocks, often better than the manufacturer's interlocks, IMO. But with other companies out there making good quality interlocks as well, such as geninterlock.com, I think interlockkit.com is going to do more harm than good. I haven't ordered one of their's in over a year.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Just as a point of interest, when looking for Square D interlocks, try putting a "C" at the end. That just stands for Clamshell packaging.

For example, searching for the QOCGK2 yields less results, but searching for QOCGK2C gives you the Amazon and Home Depot links I posted above.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MH, hope this helps...

QO Interlock

QOCGK2 - 200 amp
QOCRBGK1 - 100 amp

HOM Interlock

HOMCGK2 - 200 amp
HOMCRBGK1 - 100 amp
Thanks mag,

Have you tried these on any older panels?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
rookie sparky said:
Can anybody show me in theNEC WHERE an interlock kit must be listed?
110.2 Approval.
The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved.
FPN: See 90.7, Examination of Equipment for Safety, and 110.3, Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment. See definitions of Approved, Identified, Labeled, and Listed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts