Electrician Talk banner

Square Punch

773 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  power
I have these square switches I would like to occasionally install. Sometimes they'd be in various cabinets, boxes, equipment, etc. It gets to be a pain in the butt to keep drilling, sawing, grinding, filing......

It appears this rocker switch (shown below) would need about a 1 1/8" x 7/8" square hole for a press-in-fit.

Does anyone know of a company who manufacturers a square punch? Either hydraulically pressed, or screw drive (draw stud) similar to our KO cutters?

Gadget Auto part Electronics accessory Transparency Rectangle
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,666 Posts
Greenlee makes rectangular punches.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,924 Posts
I turned a single gang switch plate into that size opening just the other day matter of fact using my Makita "fine" tool.
and the 1/2 wide size saw bit from the bit display at the good ole Home Depot. Secure the occillating (sp) saw and turn it on and pull the switch plate into the blade , rather than trying to run the blade on the plastic faceplate, it works much better that way. For a rocker spdt for metal awnings . Looks the same size as the one in the picture above.

· Registered
Local 3 IBEW Tool House - Supply
1,401 Posts
Like @joe-nwt mentioned, Greenlee makes a bunch of different square punches, but they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive!
a standard 2-1/4 x 3-1/2 gem box punch has a list price of $2312.05 and Greenlee doesn't give the best discounts to distributors. It would probably run you $1800 - $2000

· Registered
Local 3 IBEW Tool House - Supply
1,401 Posts
that size is much more reasonable...still expensive, but worth it if you have to do enough of them. That one has a list price of $412.65 from Greenlee. We would sell that one for about $370, but don't stock it. Showing as "Not Available" on Greenlee's portal, so if this guy has it in stock like it says, I'd be surprised. It's not exactly an off the shelf kind of thing, but he's a telecom guy, so maybe. We supply more to commercial electrical and NYC Transit system contractors

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,924 Posts
For those prices, I would take it to my favorite machine shop with all the CNC cutters and the water jet cutter. They would have it done in ten minutes and around a hundred bucks. But I got lucky and mine was set into a standard plastic plate so it was pretty easy to make the ko.

· Hackenschmidt
14,381 Posts
I like analog panel meters. Simpson Electric has a great variety, they make a bunch of good ones. I picked rectangular ones once, then found what a pain it is cutting rectangular holes in heavy gauge sheet metal. (BTW, IMO, jigsaw or nibbler was the best way.) So I figured pick a round one from the many offered, and make sure the opening will work with a readily available hole saw size. (They really ought to make them KO sized so I can use a KO punch, but hole saw is OK.)

Industrial panel mount switches and pilot devices are made for a 22mm or 30.5mm hole. The punches are not hard to find, and expensive. Automation Direct sells this one from Ruko for $34.50. If you can find a 22mm or 30mm switch that works for you, you're all set.

Cylinder Auto part Engineering Household hardware Camera accessory

If the industrial type switches won't work for you, there are round panel mount switches that are closer to the one in the OP, maybe one of those would work for you. You may not be able to find one that matches a standard KO size, but you can find them in sizes you could cut with a hole saw or step bit.

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens

· Registered
Grossly negligent and criminally liable
108 Posts
I've been shopping for square and rectangular punches on ebay for a long. It seems people know what they're worth and they are still way too expensive for my budget. I found one at a garage sale once.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, Thanks to all. We have a Cincinnati Knee Mill in our shop, I thought of trying to just make one.....But then I thought I probably would have to harden it, and I don't suspect my acetylene (from the torch cutter) would suffice......I don't know.....just lazy too...rather just buy one. Well, see, $650+ is quite a bit for such a simple item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts