Electrician Talk banner

Square Punch

795 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  power
I have these square switches I would like to occasionally install. Sometimes they'd be in various cabinets, boxes, equipment, etc. It gets to be a pain in the butt to keep drilling, sawing, grinding, filing......

It appears this rocker switch (shown below) would need about a 1 1/8" x 7/8" square hole for a press-in-fit.

Does anyone know of a company who manufacturers a square punch? Either hydraulically pressed, or screw drive (draw stud) similar to our KO cutters?

Gadget Auto part Electronics accessory Transparency Rectangle
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,949 Posts
I turned a single gang switch plate into that size opening just the other day matter of fact using my Makita "fine" tool.
and the 1/2 wide size saw bit from the bit display at the good ole Home Depot. Secure the occillating (sp) saw and turn it on and pull the switch plate into the blade , rather than trying to run the blade on the plastic faceplate, it works much better that way. For a rocker spdt for metal awnings . Looks the same size as the one in the picture above.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,949 Posts
For those prices, I would take it to my favorite machine shop with all the CNC cutters and the water jet cutter. They would have it done in ten minutes and around a hundred bucks. But I got lucky and mine was set into a standard plastic plate so it was pretty easy to make the ko.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts