Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am a first year apprentice with a very small company. I work with a great licensed electrician who teaches me a lot and I get along great with him. The only problem is that I don't get paid much and there are no benefits with my company. I applied for an apprentice position with CLP resources which from what I read is a staffing agency. They pay better and their reviews are good online. Has anyone dealt with an agency in their experiences? What are the pros and cons for an apprentice looking to possibly join one?

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's a 1099 position I believe, which means you're self employed for tax purposes, meaning you pay taxes as if you were a business owner, which means twice the amount of taxes you'd normally pay if you worked FOR someone else.

Also, keep in mind, as a 1099 worker you're self-employed, so you don't get any workman's comp if you get injured on the job.

They don't provide health or any other kind of insurance either.

The extra pay sounds nice, but in the long run CLP and Tradesource, etc aren't very good places for long-term employment. Fine if you just want hours for your journeyman. I wouldn't consider them career type agencies though

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
That's a 1099 position I believe, which means you're self employed for tax purposes, meaning you pay taxes as if you were a business owner, which means twice the amount of taxes you'd normally pay if you worked FOR someone else.

Also, keep in mind, as a 1099 worker you're self-employed, so you don't get any workman's comp if you get injured on the job.

They don't provide health or any other kind of insurance either.

The extra pay sounds nice, but in the long run CLP and Tradesource, etc aren't very good places for long-term employment. Fine if you just want hours for your journeyman. I wouldn't consider them career type agencies though
what planet do you live on lad?

~CS~

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a first year apprentice with a very small company. I work with a great licensed electrician who teaches me a lot and I get along great with him. The only problem is that I don't get paid much and there are no benefits with my company. I applied for an apprentice position with CLP resources which from what I read is a staffing agency. They pay better and their reviews are good online. Has anyone dealt with an agency in their experiences? What are the pros and cons for an apprentice looking to possibly join one?
Do not do that!

Working for a staffing agency will destroy your career.

Stick with the guy you are working for, for now and get some time in before you move on.

Working for a staffing agency is the kiss of death, in the field you will be used for all the chit jobs and you will be treated like chit.

You MUST work for an electrical contractor direct and make sure you record all of your hours so you can sit for the exam.

Pay your dues, it's like going to college but better because the day you pass the journeymen electricians exam, at that point you'll be better off than many college grads who will have $400,000 in debt.

F-that...:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I worked for CLP for about 6 months. It has its pluses and minuses but overall I would not recommend working there unless you have no other option. It is fairly important for an apprentice to see a job from start to finish, you won't get that with CLP. Typically you go to work for a company that is falling behind in a project and you'll work for them until they're caught up then you're done and CLP sends you off to another company. Sometimes you'll work for a month sometimes a few days, and you'll usually have a couple days off unpaid before the next assignment. Also you'll get grunt work exclusively because it isn't in the best interest for a contractor to waste time teaching a temp. And as others have mentioned you'll have to get all your documented hours from each company which can be a pain in the ass when you work for 30 different companies over the course of a year.
The pluses I found were that you don't get as much stress from worrying about a job getting done on time because it isn't your ass on the line, you just show up do your job and go home. And they did keep me working fairly consistently for the duration I worked for them which is better than sitting at home living off unemployment.
Others have mentioned you would be a 1099 employee which is not true, you'll be a regular w-2 employee with insurance and a small amount of paid vacation that accrues.
If you have any other questions about CLP you can ask me.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
If he was to get letters from every company he worked while with the staffing agency it seems this might work for time in trade?
He needs to have his hours signed off for each master electrician he works for.

The board will not be happy to have to go through 100's of sheets to count up and verify every hour he worked, he needs 8,000 here just to sit for the exam.

Right now it's busy as hell up here so he should have no problem getting another job with an EC .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I've been with CLP for a week and I hate it. Yes its more money and I get benefits but its not really worth it considering I have to pay tolls and a lot more for gas than usual. I figured I'd try it and see if I liked it but its not for me. Thanks for all your responses guys.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
So I've been with CLP for a week and I hate it. Yes its more money and I get benefits but its not really worth it considering I have to pay tolls and a lot more for gas than usual. I figured I'd try it and see if I liked it but its not for me. Thanks for all your responses guys.
If I could give one peice of advice.....

Im not going to discourage you from trying different things and seeing what all is out there. But you need to at least have a few years in before you start bouncing around, otherwise you will screw yourself in the long run, and it will get harder at landing a good job. Nothing wrong with trying to find a little more money, all of us have done it, but you need to show a little restraint with how you do it.

If you've already left your old job and now you hate this one - Stop right now, and dont repeat the same mistake. Stay here at this company for a little bit, learn something new, stay working and keep your ears out for something else. If you leave now, you might find yourself in a worse situation than you are in, Have a little patience. :thumbsup:

Where you are at, I can sympathize with. I've got the adventurous "bouncing fever" myself, but sometimes its best to sit still for a while and let things play out themselves. I know it isnt fun, but it might be the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stick with the guy who's willing to teach you. My company uses a coupling of staffing agencies to supplement our work force, but they are EXPENDABLE. you show up on a temp basis and you wont be taught, youll be expected to bust hump and leave. I hate that we use these companies but we don't like to lay people off, ever. My advice, stick with a teacher, meet and talk with as many people as you can, make them remember you, start your network of people in trade and by the time your 8K hours are up opportunities will come. Best of luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.