Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirs,

I have a new question regarding the calculus of the general lighting and receptacle loads for dwellings, my doubt is respect to the stairway area, this area should be included in the 3 volt-ampere per sq ft of the general lighting or not?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Test issue,

How big are these stairs that you're worried about the difference? :eek:
hehe,

The stairs are very normal, but my question is because this is an exercise for a test in the college, and the professor is very strict.

So, i just want to get the full score.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Tell your professor: Just put a light at the top and the bottom of them and you'll be fine. If they're really big stairs, then stick a wall sconce somewhere in the middle.

Tell us what he says. :laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
You should ask that professor because BBQ isn't around right now and he knows everything.

Usually home square footage is the heated, habitable rooms.. so probably not the stairs, or an unfinished attic, basement or crawlspace, deck/balcony or garage. That's my uneducated guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
stairway lighting outlet

See N.E.C. Article 210.70 (2) Additional Locations subsection (c) states that stairways with six or more risers between levels require a three way switched controlling lighting outlet at the top and bottom of each landing.;)

·
Premium Member
19,760 Posts
Sirs,

I have a new question regarding the calculus of the general lighting and receptacle loads for dwellings, my doubt is respect to the stairway area, this area should be included in the 3 volt-ampere per sq ft of the general lighting or not?

We square foot the footprint of the dwelling so everything is included and nothing excluded.
Inside of a closet that does not require a light, outlet or switch, included. Areas between wall studs, included. Downstairs, include the footprint, upstairs, includes the ceiling part of the downstairs.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
See N.E.C. Article 210.70 (2) Additional Locations subsection (c) states that stairways with six or more risers between levels require a three way switched controlling lighting outlet at the top and bottom of each landing.;)
Actually the article is referring to the 3way switch location. The NEC doesn't care where in the stairway the lighting outlet is located.

(C) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sirs,

The stairs should be included in the load calc for general L+R.

(J) Dwelling Occupancies. In one-family, two-family, and
multifamily dwellings and in guest rooms or guest suites of
hotels and motels, the outlets specified in (J)(1), (J)(2), and
(J)(3) are included in the general lighting load calculations
of 220.12. No additional load calculations shall be required
for such outlets.
(1) All general-use receptacle outlets of 20-ampere rating
or less, including receptacles connected to the circuits
in 210.11(C)(3)
(2) The receptacle outlets specified in 210.52(E) and (G)
(3) The lighting outlets specified in 210.70(A) and (B)
210.70(A)(2)
(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall
be installed in accordance with (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and
(A)(2)(c).
(a) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet
shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages,
and detached garages with electric power.
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power, at least one wall switch–
controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination
on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits
with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not
be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed
for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each
floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to
control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between
floor levels has six risers or more.
Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways,
in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central,
or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,067 Posts
The sq.ft is based on the the outside dimension of the building-- art 220.12. For dwellings don't include porches, garages or unused spaces not adaptable for future use.

Reactions: wildleg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Reply to Chicago land

Actually the article is referring to the 3way switch location. The NEC doesn't care where in the stairway the lighting outlet is located.

(C) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.
Nice to meet you, you live in my home town where I was born and raised although I miss Chicago I am happy here in Riverside ca. Any ways true you are correct Also the code mentions in article 210. the wall spacing of receptacles and every hallway should have an outlet regardless if its 10 feet or larger.:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts