Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Journeyman Electrician
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Having a little bit of a dilemma here. I'm a 309A but have been working in Maintenance for the last 3 years. And believe it or not I've never actually done a house service before 馃槵. Installing the service on my place next weekend and was hoping I could get some insight from guys who do this all the time. I am installing a 3' Fusion stone skirt around the house and because of the stone/top ledger of the stone, I don't know how to make it look nice since it will have to saddle around the top ledger and offset back to the wall to terminate into my meter socket. I could notch the top ledger to eliminate the saddle portion but I'm just curious if there is a common practice. I've also seen some guys stand off/box out the meter base about 2 inches off the wall so the terminations can come straight into it, but unsure how to do that properly and finish it after the fact so I don't have 2 inches of wood showing behind my boxes. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Attached a pic of the ledger so you guys can see the jut out. Thanks in advance guys.

Wood Gesture Rectangle Window Brickwork

Registered
Around here it is usually smart board painted white or the same colour as the siding behind the equipment, furred out enough to clear the flashing. The masons usually have to notch out the leger when they install, as they typically come in after the service is in and trades don't communicate with each other lol.

Registered
Journeyman Electrician
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Around here it is usually smart board painted white or the same colour as the siding behind the equipment, furred out enough to clear the flashing. The masons usually have to notch out the leger when they install, as they typically come in after the service is in and trades don't communicate with each other lol.
Do they use the smart board to fur out or do they box it out first and finish it with smart board/paint? I just dont want it to look god awful when its done lmfao. Thanks for the reply!

Registered
Assuming your using PVC, I would come out of the ground and install some expansion couplings, which will take up a good portion of your 3' stone wall. Expansion couplings are used to prevent damaging the conduit or gear mountings from earth settlement and frost heaves. PVC fittings can break easily at cold temperatures.

Use a short section of deep unistrut to anchor the PVC pipe to the stone above the expansion coupling. Then once you pass over your stone ledger, offset back to the wall and install your gear as normal.

Preprep your unistrut spacers and paint them before installation, with some high quality paint to blend in with your stone, so that they don't drool rust in their later years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts