Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas on how to wire a whole house Gen with automatic trans sw. with 2 200 amp panels?
probably be a 30KW

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
A fused disconnect to an ATS then to a splitter with the 2- 200 Amp panels feeding off of it?
But 30KW is shy of feeding it all, is it not?

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
The_Modifier said:
A fused disconnect to an ATS then to a splitter with the 2- 200 Amp panels feeding off of it? But 30KW is shy of feeding it all, is it not?
Wouldn't that depend on load?

How are the panels wired now? The transfer switch just goes in between the source and the panels.

·
Registered
988 Posts
tates1882 said:
So no breaker at the meter? Service rated transfer switch with disconnect. Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
Why?? Twice I've said what he needs. It's the easiest and most common setup for a (2) 200 amp panel service.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You've either got to have a main breaker to protect the ATS, or a SER switch which has a main. Can't feed unfused to non SER ATS.
May be part of the disagreement or clarification here.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Legacyelectric said:
You've either got to have a main breaker to protect the ATS, or a SER switch which has a main. Can't feed unfused to non SER ATS. May be part of the disagreement or clarification here.
Ok ill clarify. DUAL 200 amp SERVICE rated ats. Will have (2) 200 amp main breakers in it

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok ill clarify. DUAL 200 amp SERVICE rated ats. Will have (2) 200 amp main breakers in it
Who makes that one joe. I called generac and they didnt seem to know. I get 3 or 4 calls a week for generators with 2 main panels. Every customer says they had electricians look at it and didnt know how to make it work.
Generac told me they get 5 to 6 calls a day about this and he didnt have an answer for me.

·
zap
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
dc-electric said:
Who makes that one joe. I called generac and they didnt seem to know. I get 3 or 4 calls a week for generators with 2 main panels. Every customer says they had electricians look at it and didnt know how to make it work. Generac told me they get 5 to 6 calls a day about this and he didnt have an answer for me.
I've mainly installed GE ones

·
Registered
988 Posts
dc-electric said:
Excellent. .. about how much and is there any reason I cant use it with a generac or kohler
You'd have to check to see if is compatible. The control wiring will be different. GE uses a 2 wire control and generac uses a 3 wire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts