Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are you generator installers doing for 2- panels? Does someone make a single transfer switch that feeds both panels?

Basically, what are you guys installing?
2- transfer switches or
1- dual feed transfer switch

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
several jobs. This one is 2-200 amp panels. almost all gas appliances so 20 K is good.

Other jobs I come across 2- 150amp panels and 22 or 24K is usually good

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
several jobs. This one is 2-200 amp panels. almost all gas appliances so 20 K is good.

Other jobs I come across 2- 150amp panels and 22 or 24K is usually good
A 400 amp transfer switch will fit the bill however I hope you are aware that you may have to change the numbers of conductors from the transfer switch to the panels ., it will have to be 4 conductor due some of the transfer switch do have main breaker in there and it will genrally rated for service entrance.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
You mean for 2- 200amp panels I'll be using 4-o to each panel?
Yuh Four conductor 4/0 Alum SER cable is typical. unless your local code say different.

Also once you go this route you will have seperated the neutral and ground conductor on neutral bussbar. so you will have to add a ground bussbar and isloated the neutral bussbar.

Edit., Just leave current main breakers in there in the panel it will serve two purpose .,

A. for disconnecting means for one panel
B. OCPD for that panel.

Unless you get lucky with transfer switch with two main breakers for load side. ( that kinda a super special order item so I just order run of mill stock transfer switch set up )

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I do a lot generators and know the ropes and codes but usually avoid the 2- panel estimates. I'm really asking what do most of you guys do with a 2- panel standby generator job?

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Gilberts Corner, we're neighbors... I'm talking about a whole House transfer switch.
You will have to make a choice either single 400 amp transfer switch or two 200 amp transfer switches either one will will work fine with it.

However if you going with latter part make sure you have remote set up to work with both transfer switches due some models do not work very well with two transfers so just be aware of it.

·
Can't Remember
10,446 Posts
The Briggs one is unique with two 200 amp transfer switches built into it. Two 200 amp breakers and two contactors. I'd have to look through Kohler's to see what they have. It's always a question of space, new or retrofit install. Maybe two switches is less expensive.

·
Registered
32,115 Posts
Gilberts Corner, we're neighbors... I'm talking about a whole House transfer switch.
400 amp ATS and 400 amp panel and a sub would still work or 400 amp Service rated ATS with dual lugs or a trough.

·
Can't sign em..forget em
7,439 Posts
I had one larger size house that needed
a 240 volt / 600 amp service.

First ...a CT cabinet with triples lugs and
then (3) 200 amp Service entrance ATS's
that fed (3) 200 amp main lug panels in
the house.

So...I had one ATS per panel

·
Can't Remember
10,446 Posts
I didn’t see anything like the Briggs one on the Kohler site, that’s not to say there isn’t, I just haven’t seen it. Several 400 amp options with a single contactor. Generac is easy to do 2 200amp switches without any extra hardware. Briggs you can too. Kohler either do one RXT and one Rdt, or two rdt’s. Apparently there is a product from PSP that’ll make multiple RXT,s work together (cost savings).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts