Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone!

I just got hired at a local electrical company and will be starting out my electrical career on Monday, 10/25. I am currently a transportation dispatcher (have been doing this for 10+ years) but I have been thinking about getting out of this industry for quite a few years but being a family man I didn't have a good opportunity to make a move until now. I was always interested in HVAC and Electrical.

I couldn't really afford going to school so I was looking for a job where I am be an employee and learn heads on and hopefully find a way to get my license.

Looking forward to my new career and learning from you guys on this forum!

Jake

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,569 Posts
Welcome. Listen twice as much as you speak on the job. Save some of your questions for us here, we’ll lead you in the proper direction.

·
Super Moderator
7,517 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jake, and to the industry.
Be safe - go home every night, on your own 2 feet!

Reactions: mywire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the warm welcome! I am looking forward to learning and excelling in this career!

·
Registered
Electrician
217 Posts
A wealth of information is posted in here Jake.. Welcome to the Forum and the Industry.. *Rarely a dull moment in either, and a ever-changing industry.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,638 Posts
Greetings everyone!

I just got hired at a local electrical company and will be starting out my electrical career on Monday, 10/25. I am currently a transportation dispatcher (have been doing this for 10+ years) but I have been thinking about getting out of this industry for quite a few years but being a family man I didn't have a good opportunity to make a move until now. I was always interested in HVAC and Electrical.

I couldn't really afford going to school so I was looking for a job where I am be an employee and learn heads on and hopefully find a way to get my license.

Jake
Welcome
A few things,
First where are you located at, we can give better advice that way if we know.
Second Keep track of your hours worked and what you did, this is your responsibility not your employers.. W2 or paychecks may not be enough.
Depending on the area you live is whether you need school or not to get a license.
Lastly ask question on here and read others posts, this is the place to learn real life.

Cowboy

·
Registered
588 Posts
As I'm learning, every state seems to do their own thing for apprenticeships. The norm here is to be laid-off to attend school (and collect employment insurance) for ~10 weeks per year, or some larger companies will pay your wage while you attend school.

Do figure out how to properly log your hours toward your certification. You don't want to be several years in, begging for an apprenticeship, to find out you can only go back 6 months (for example) in counting your time.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,353 Posts
Greetings everyone!

Jake
WELCOME! There are many, many guys on here with tons of experience who are more than willing to help you. ET has about weeded out the trolls who loved to pick on the new guys like yourself.

·
Premium Member
19,545 Posts
Appreciate the warm welcome! I am looking forward to learning and excelling in this career!
Learn the materials, always be the guy organizing materials, keeping a hasty inventory, knowing where everything is, sweeping up. Volunteer for the hard work, don't be afraid to get dirty, go home tired every day.
Keep your head on a swivel, be aware of any hazards. Construction sites are dangerous and not made for casual occupation. Be respectful of those senior to you. Learn what you can from this shop and be prepared to move out to move up for more pay. Study, get every certification you can, get your OSHA 30, get CPR certified, do CERT training, get a commercial driver's license with air brakes and bus endorsement. Learn a little welding but, don't ever do it for a living.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In order to make my hours officially count do I have to be enrolled in a apprenticeship program? What is the recommend method of keeping track of hours? Is their a special notepad book or a logging in a spreadsheet?

·
Registered
45 Posts
In order to make my hours officially count do I have to be enrolled in a apprenticeship program? What is the recommend method of keeping track of hours? Is their a special notepad book or a logging in a spreadsheet?
As Cowboy mentioned, a lot depends on your location. As a general rule, if your state has approved apprenticeship programs then they're not optional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts