Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been a bartender for 17 years and just returned to school to study electrical technology. I'm highly interested in solar projections and will be studying that next year before I graduate. I'm looking for advice on what some of you other guys think. I'm in Montana but don't really want to do the North Dakota thing, frankly I'm getting tired of the cold. Are these larger, grid tied, solar projects union jobs? Is the union the way to go? Anyway just looking for general input on career options. Thank You

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello everyone, I've been a bartender for 17 years and just returned to school to study electrical technology. I'm highly interested in solar projections and will be studying that next year before I graduate. I'm looking for advice on what some of you other guys think. I'm in Montana but don't really want to do the North Dakota thing, frankly I'm getting tired of the cold. Are these larger, grid tied, solar projects union jobs? Is the union the way to go? Anyway just looking for general input on career options. Thank You
If you can get in the union that's the way to go

Welcome to ET:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All my professors are old union guys and they all say that it won't be a problem for me to join our local here as long as I'm willing to travel. Which I am, living out of a 5th wheel sounds sweet to me.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Most residential solar is done with an electrician and a bunch of laborers. I don't think commercial is much different. We've got a few apprentices that were on solar jobs for a couple years......and they've been a couple years dumber then the average apprentice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think job core pushed the hell out of solar work for awhile, I've been working in various ski and summer resorts and I've seen my share of job core chef's. They shouldn't of been on grill at McDonald's.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Most residential solar is done with an electrician and a bunch of laborers. I don't think commercial is much different. We've got a few apprentices that were on solar jobs for a couple years......and they've been a couple years dumber then the average apprentice.
That really depends on what state you're working in,Here in mass the ratio of one j-man one apprentice must be kept.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense to me I think the union rep said here we need 2 journeyman per apprentice on commercial jobs. Most of our graduates are going strainght to ND after graduation and becoming foreman on crews were the out of 30 people there may be 2 journeyman. ND has to be bending it's rules to supply it's demand right now. That's were I got started and decided I should take some classes first. Now I know some of the things we did were not only serious code violations but icredibly dangerous also.

·
Estwing magic
26,775 Posts
All my professors are old union guys and they all say that it won't be a problem for me to join our local here as long as I'm willing to travel. Which I am, living out of a 5th wheel sounds sweet to me.
Except in the winter when your black water tank turns into one solid, frozen sh!t brick. Been there, done that, never again :( .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Except in the winter when your black water tank turns into one solid, frozen sh!t brick. Been there, done that, never again :( .
I started w/ the company I worked for in ND in the water and septic division and I tell you this I'd rather deal w/ a frozen turd any day than a baking one. Still nasty as hell though. Where were you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts