Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Tyler Tx.

i have taken about 3 years of college courses, and i've always done well in my high school and college math courses. Find out the rest about what? the union and other programs such as the IEC? is that necessary to start working?

btw, i set up an appointment on Friday with the guy that is wanting to hire me, i will then find out more info.

Thanks.
If you have got it figured out, then go with it. Do you have a degree ? I know a lot of electricians with a degree and are happy they chose to work with their hands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you have got it figured out, then go with it. Do you have a degree ? I know a lot of electricians with a degree and are happy they chose to work with their hands.
No sir, I don't have a degree...I went to college thinking that is just the thing that good students do, I was going to do something in the medical field, but that didn't work out...it didn't even cross my mind at the time that I could learn a trade such as electricity and work with my hands, which is something i would enjoy.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Tyler

No sir, I don't have a degree...I went to college thinking that is just the thing that good students do, I was going to do something in the medical field, but that didn't work out...it didn't even cross my mind at the time that I could learn a trade such as electricity and work with my hands, which is something i would enjoy.
I did not mean my words to be insulting. I took college courses but did not graduate, as well. My main concern is that you have a reasonable grasp of ALGEBRA. I was never great at it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oh, no I didn't think you were being insulting at all :) Yeah, i always made A's and B's in Algebra. Math was always my best subject.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
i received my apprentice license about a month ago...I will look more into the IEC. Thanks for the info.
If you have three years of school, then look into an EE degree. That will help you way more than being a dang ole 'lectrician. But sounds like your making this move regardless. I wish the best of luck to you.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
A dang ole electrician? lol...is it that bad? I think it would be a good job...
It is a good job. If you have that much school, an electrical engineering stamp with a masters license will pay a bunch more money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yea that would be nice, but not many classes i have taken would go toward the EE degree...and it's very hard to go to school and be married.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
yea that would be nice, but not many classes i have taken would go toward the EE degree...and it's very hard to go to school and be married.
check out north dakota state university distance learning

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
They have companies sign as members and hire through them....like a union they have set minimum pay scales....like a union.....they have their own schooling.....like a union but they're not a union and the employees don't pay dues. That's the nutshell of what I know about it. I looked at it a few years ago. From what I saw their pay scale is not impressive to say the least but it may be different in other areas. I think it's not much more than a glorified temp service but you can look at it and form your own opinion.
WAY more than a glorified temp agency!
I took apprentice school there and also did my EC class studies there. You can "earn while you learn". It's what you put into it. There are many teachers there who are highly qualified, intelligent and KNOW the code and working for a living, both as PM's, foreman and AHJ's/inspectors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There is an IEC chapter in my town, it is an commercial electrical company. Someone I work with at CVS works there, and he hasn't been working there for long, and he doenst even want to be an electrician! not fair because i'd love to get on there and become an electrician. last time i called them they weren't taking anyone. hopefully I will get hired on.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
There is an IEC chapter in my town, it is an commercial electrical company. Someone I work with at CVS works there, and he hasn't been working there for long, and he doenst even want to be an electrician! not fair because i'd love to get on there and become an electrician. last time i called them they weren't taking anyone. hopefully I will get hired on.
Sounds like you and that other guy need to swap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yea that would be awesome, but he would never want to swap, and I don't blame him. He makes a dollar more there than I do at cvs...i work full time at cvs and he works part time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
on Friday morning I meet with the electrician/owner of the company that is willing to hire me, and "work into the apprentice program" as he said. Any recommendations of what I should ask him when we meet? Anything I should l should look for?

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
on Friday morning I meet with the electrician/owner of the company that is willing to hire me, and "work into the apprentice program" as he said. Any recommendations of what I should ask him when we meet? Anything I should l should look for?
No not really, just have your best face on. Resume will be useless, just highlight the fact your an honest, on time, safe type person.

Ask for a tool list.

:laughing:Look for the rat in the corner with a knife wanting to stab you in the back:laughing: J/K

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
or any robotic rats:laughing: it went well today, as soon as I talk to my manager at my job to see how long of a notice he needs, i will officially begin my apprenticeship. I was glad to know that he rarely does residential work, and that his company mostly does commercial and industrial, which is what i wanted.
He made sure i wasn't afraid of heights because sometimes they work on those really tall tanks. you sometimes see them while you're driving on the road. i guess they are water tanks? I also found out that i will start out as an apprentice and not just some helper. :)
I'm grateful for this opportunity.

·
Just Dealing With it....
515 Posts
Is it neccessary to go to apprentice school to learn to become an electrician?
No....

Is it better to attend a school....perhaps

What you learn and do with your career in this trade is up to you. More effort put in....more you will get out of it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts