Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to work for myself. I will be leaving the union. I will be an equal partner with my Dad. He owns a garage door company of 20 years and has an active c-10 license. I will run the electrical side with a "doing business as." Then possibly a buy out in 5 years when he retires.

My question is about health insurance. What are all of you 1-2 man shops doing for health insurance in California? Individual plan, small group plan etc?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
First, to get anywhere close to the coverage the union offers, expect to pay about $2000.00 for a family of 4, and then be disappointed when you get your bills for what your insurance doesn't cover.

We have a group plan as we have employees. Before that I had an individual plan. Check out www.ehealthinsurance.com

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Jonl said:
Going to work for myself. I will be leaving the union. I will be an equal partner with my Dad. He owns a garage door company of 20 years and has an active c-10 license. I will run the electrical side with a "doing business as." Then possibly a buy out in 5 years when he retires. My question is about health insurance. What are all of you 1-2 man shops doing for health insurance in California? Individual plan, small group plan etc?
Marry a teacher.

·
Premium Member
19,557 Posts
Going to work for myself. I will be leaving the union. I will be an equal partner with my Dad. He owns a garage door company of 20 years and has an active c-10 license. I will run the electrical side with a "doing business as." Then possibly a buy out in 5 years when he retires.

My question is about health insurance. What are all of you 1-2 man shops doing for health insurance in California? Individual plan, small group plan etc?
The best advice I ever received from someone when I was in your position was to keep up my ticket and insurance and pension.
I couldn't have been able to put money away and keep it put away during the last hard hits around 2001 and 2008.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
jrannis said:
The best advice I ever received from someone when I was in your position was to keep up my ticket and insurance and pension. I couldn't have been able to put money away and keep it put away during the last hard hits around 2001 and 2008.
That just makes no sense.

It doesn't make sense because there is so much waste (paying for the other guys only work partial years) that a man owning the shop would be better off paying his own medical insurance and retirement.

For example, my old local is 25% (over $12.50/hr) for medical insurance. That means if you work 2,000 hours you paying a little over $25,000 per year.

The owner of a company would usually buy his own medical insurance and pocket the rest of that $25k. The same thing for the pension, every cent you get after you work 1,200 hours goes towards other members.

Once again I think you are full of it.

Reactions: svh19044

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do plan on paying the non working dues, which allows me to comeback. Not sure how I would be able to continue the insurance through the union. I will check into it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you going to be a union shop? We are a union shop, if your not thing might be different...also All locals are a little different, but I had a 6 month bank of insurance. I used that then went on cal-cobra for a year...As a C-10 you can still sign the book (just can not take a call)(you will stir up **** though)....If you are on the books, technically you are unemployed. That should give you the same insurance for cheaper.
Since the IBEW/NECA has a national health care plan now, you do not need to be "all-in" to just have health insurance...I think the local health package is $1000+/- a month... That covers everyone in your family (wife, kids) and has dental with vision. Not sure wish IBEW health plan @Switched had, but sounds like it blows.....
Since we are a union shop a group plan does not work for us, because the guys are already covered. We had to sign up for covered California (since being dropped because I did not have maternity) it's has it's problems but you can pick a plan that works for you...we are with blue shield $600.00ish a month with a $1500 deductible...
I also agree with @jrannis keep vested in the IBEW, and do not lose your ticket or push it into the IO...never hurts to have a fall back option....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will not be a union shop for now, maybe at a later time. I still have 3 months for my healthcare bank. How many people in your group plan to get down to $600 a month? That seems like a really good rate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I will not be a union shop for now, maybe at a later time. I still have 3 months for my healthcare bank. How many people in your group plan to get down to $600 a month? That seems like a really good rate.

Our $600 a month is a personal plan for my wife, two kids, and myself. Since we are a union shop we do not have a group plan.... Call your insurance agent and ask about a
Group plan. It can be pretty cheap, you can have the other employees cover some of the cost. Or give yourself a low paycheck, and qualify for assistance through covered California. Like everything else in business, what works for us might not work for you...

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
$600.00 is pretty cheap. Is that subsidized by the state, or just a bare bones plan?

If you make more than I think around $92K with a family of four, you don't qualify for any subsidy from the state, and most of the basic plans are around $800.00.

You are doing quite well at $600.00 if that is not on a subsidy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Switched; You are doing quite well at $600.00 if that is not on a subsidy.[/QUOTE said:
So far it's a good plan, and am lucky we are that low...had headaches getting it there. We are still young (30s) maybe that helps? I did crack the whip on my agent to get what I wanted...

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Before Obamacare we paid around $400.00 for a bare bones policy for a family of four. It has subsequently been increased to almost $900.00. It has no additional benefits, in fact, it actually has a little less!:thumbsup:

We are in the process of renewing our insurance at the moment, and rates have gone up across the board 30-40% at a minimum from before (A company group plan). If you are what they consider lower income, you can qualify for subsidy though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah we looked into paying ourselves minimum wage to qualify for subsidy...but it has problems, like making your kids go on medical...which our doctors don't take...
We know about all the problems, only advice I have is make your insurance agent think outside the box and get your rate where you want. Obamacare screwed our plan up, but that is another topic

·
Premium Member
19,557 Posts
That just makes no sense.

It doesn't make sense because there is so much waste (paying for the other guys only work partial years) that a man owning the shop would be better off paying his own medical insurance and retirement.

For example, my old local is 25% (over $12.50/hr) for medical insurance. That means if you work 2,000 hours you paying a little over $25,000 per year.

The owner of a company would usually buy his own medical insurance and pocket the rest of that $25k. The same thing for the pension, every cent you get after you work 1,200 hours goes towards other members.

Once again I think you are full of it.
I can't speak about how it would work in NJ.
I can bank healthcare hours.
If I get more than 1000 hours, it begins to qualify for additional qualified years. I don't see where I can have a problem. Our H&W is just over $8.00 for the PPO insurance part, entire family, includes dental and vision.
For me it's good.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
If you are an Scorp you should be careful about what you pay yourself as a reasonable salary. The IRS is cracking down on this pretty heavily from what I understand. It would be hard to justify a low salary to qualify for medical benefits, when your position at another company would have a higher wage.

Just be careful when getting creative....especially on a public forum that we all know they are watching!:laughing::whistling2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just be careful when getting creative....especially on a public forum that we all know they are watching!:laughing::whistling2:

When I say get creative, I mean with in the law...I just do not except "XYZ" because that's the standard. We went through a lot of different options...one being, take a low paycheck but would not work because of the doctors on the list (along with irs) ...another was separate policy's for kids and us....

They are watching? So this would not be a good place to talk about the illegal unregistered gun with laser scope, that I wrote off on my taxes under "tool"....it is a precision hole maker....hahaha....

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
When I say get creative, I mean with in the law...I just do not except "XYZ" because that's the standard. We went through a lot of different options...one being, take a low paycheck but would not work because of the doctors on the list (along with irs) ...another was separate policy's for kids and us....

They are watching? So this would not be a good place to talk about the illegal unregistered gun with laser scope, that I wrote off on my taxes under "tool"....it is a precision hole maker....hahaha....
No, most of us have hole makers like that!

Reactions: Classic_Toby
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.