Electrician Talk banner

STARTING CAREER - NYC

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  LGLS 
#1 ·
What are the best ways/contractors/union for an Electrical student to start his career as an Electrical apprentice/helper as right now in NYC? I am 19 y/o and I recently graduated from my Electrical classes and graduated High School at 16 y/o.

Thank you in advance

#7 ·
First get any thing in the electrical field you can get, even if it is just in the electrical supply house experience is experience.
Next Wait for @LGLS to answer this page. He can tell you all you need about how to find the resources for an union apprenticeship.
After you go union and serve your time you can decide where to go from there. Union you will make great money with benefits but depending on where you end up at it could get boring doing the same thing. Don't listen when people say don't go union they just want your money, yes they do but they leave you enough and get you enough so you can live very well and retire. That means a lot in this day and age.
If you don't go union wait till you find the right Electrical job don't jump on the first one because it is hard to look for work when you are working. Be choosy.

#8 ·
I think an underemployed individual has a better chance of being hired than an unemployed individual waiting for the "right" job.

If you are underemployed, a quit notice should not be expected.

Reactions: 460 Delta
#9 ·
I think an underemployed individual has a better chance of being hired than an unemployed individual waiting for the "right" job.

If you are underemployed, a quit notice should not be expected.
I was talking about not having the time to go on interviews. If you take a job with an EC and have to take time off all the time to go on interviews you could end up getting fired, and have a bad mark on your record. If you have a non trade related job that you lose it, you don't have to include it on your resume.

#11 ·
call 718-591-4000

the union hall is located at 158-11 Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Ave, Flushing 11365

go or call and ask for a “request for an application” to join the apprenticeship. Local 3 does not hand out applications to casuals, and the entire recruitment process is coordinated ny Local 3, Reps from the NECA, and the New York State Department of labor. Because of this they’ve come up with one central common process that must be followed by all parties considered to the letter. No deviations. This way everybody is happy, and nobody can sue anybody.

So this is how you join the apprenticeship kiddo… You call the number I have up above and you ask for a request for an application. They will ask for your address and name and they will mail it out to you or you may go in person and go to the apprenticeship department and ask for a request for an application. If you simply ask for an actual application you will be denied and you will not be told you can only get a “request for an application“ do you understand ? because I’ve told this to 100 people, and 99 of them didn’t ****ing get it… are you going to get it?

At this point in time nobody you encounter or interact with is going to give two flying things about your education the three years in electrical school that you graduated high school early your high school transcript none of it nobody cares you do not even have your pinky toe in the door yet you simply have a request for an application and yours will be mailed to you along with thousands of others when the apprenticeship opens again which will not be for at least another three years as the tests were administered just prior to Covid exactly one year prior to Covid and they received and ranked and accepted 2500+ future apprentices they will be working off that list of 2500 until that list of 2500 hopeful apprentices is exhausted …. that could be two years from now that could be five years from now but whenever it is that is when they re-open the apprenticeship program and therefore that is how long you have to wait for Local 3 to send you your application because you have filed a request for an application .

as it happens, over the next 6 years about 15-20 % of local 3s Journeymen Electricians, Myself included, will officially be retiring within this time frame. That’s 2000 retirements minimum so a lot of space to backfill and the currenlust should move fairly quickly.

In the meantime… Also fill out an application or a request for an application over the river in New Jersey at the IBEW local over there go up to Westchester north of Westchester because Local 3 represents Westchester and part of Connecticut go north of there and try to join that apprenticeship program or go out to Long Island and try to join local 25 or maybe you want to be a lineman and work on the big power cables if you think you can handle work like that go out to Long Island local 1098 or 1096 that’s in hodgepodge also known as Happague.

good luck kid, I hope you make it.

Peace out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.