Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Dylan. I was born in Memphis, Tennessee. Raised in BC, Canada. Then at about 8 years old moved to Costa Rica. Lastly I did high school in Canada, graduating on the Honor Roll with a 3.7 GPA 6 years ago.

Since high school I've traveled through about 4 Canadian Provinces, about 10 US States, 11 Countries in Europe, 2 Countries in Central America, and 1 Country in South America. To pay for my travels I've worked small jobs here and there, the longest being the jobs I mention in my Bio. As many of you can probably imagine from a young man whose done this kind of travelling (and not been going to university), I've gotten into (and most importantly, outgrown) my share of 'learning experiences': Travel, Parties, Alcohol, absorbed in relationships with exotic women, and bad habits such as video games.
Fortunately, I made it out alive.

I'm happy with my decision not to go to college or university. I have no debt at all and have had some profoundly life-enriching experiences. Most importantly, I have learned what I don't want in my life. Now, as I approach 25 years old, I am 100% clear and focused - ready to jump head first into a career. Free of the normal distractions that plague today's youth.

I am hoping that the community in this forum will be able to advise me on the following:

1. What are the most important things to look for in an Apprenticeship?
  2. How do I best go about getting enrolled in an Electrician Apprenticeship?
  3. What state is generally considered to have the most work, the best work conditions, and the best pay? - I'm willing to settle wherever this is for the duration of my apprenticeship.
  4. Anything you think I should know before undertaking this career decision?

I am sincerely grateful for this communities guidance and support.

SmilingDylan

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,236 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that the community in this forum will be able to advise me on the following:

1. What are the most important things to look for in an Apprenticeship?
  2. How do I best go about getting enrolled in an Electrician Apprenticeship?
  3. What state is generally considered to have the most work, the best work conditions, and the best pay? - I'm willing to settle wherever this is for the duration of my apprenticeship.
  4. Anything you think I should know before undertaking this career decision?

I am sincerely grateful for this communities guidance and support.

SmilingDylan
1. Normally I would say just get signed up as an apprentice anywhere you can, but since you seem happy to move anywhere you can be a bit picky. A lot will depend on what type of work you want to do. Myself I started at a company that did mostly industrial controls and some commercial. As a result I didn't get to wire many houses, which was fine with me, but may not be what you are looking for. Also, if you decide to go union, you'll likely get whatever they send you to.

2. Getting signed up/enrolled/registered will be different in every state/country/province. If you go union they will walk you through all the steps. Find a place to do your apprenticeship first, then worry about the paperwork sign up stuff.

3. I'm not sure about where the most work is. Everywhere seems to have ups and downs. Pay seems to vary widely between employers; unions generally pay more, especially as an apprentice.

4. It's a decent career, you work with your hands and with your mind, and depending on what road you travel you can have a lot of variety in your career, or no variety at all.

Do a search on here for 'apprentice' and similar terms and you will find oodles of advice about being an effective apprentice. That is such a large topic that i won't even begin to cover it here.

Do you have any experience in electrical or in trades?
What kind of electrical work do want or expect or envision yourself doing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any experience in electrical or in trades?
Roofing, a bit of construction, a few home renovations (vacation rental management), always been adept with home electrical appliances. - that's it.

What kind of electrical work do want or expect or envision yourself doing?
The field of electrical work that most interests me is Sound/Telecommunications installation/maintenance. However it seems to have the least projected growth and doesn't look the most payed either. Having a relatively well paying and future-proof job is important to me. Also, the last thing I'd want to do is work in a factory all day everyday.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Roofing, a bit of construction, a few home renovations (vacation rental management), always been adept with home electrical appliances. - that's it.
With that experience, wiring new homes won't be a complete shock to you. You'll get the flow of things pretty quick I'd imagine. If you go the resi route.

The field of electrical work that most interests me is Sound/Telecommunications installation/maintenance. However it seems to have the least projected growth and doesn't look the most payed either. Having a relatively well paying and future-proof job is important to me. Also, the last thing I'd want to do is work in a factory all day everyday.
That's mostly (all?) low voltage stuff. Depending on the area you are in, you won't be required to be an electrician to do that work. In Ontario for example, I don't think you'd require any sort of certification to do that.

I'm not sure about the pay and work outlook in that field. Myself I don't think I would enjoy that work, but to each their own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure about the pay and work outlook in that field. Myself I don't think I would enjoy that work, but to each their own.
This just made me wonder.. What type of work do you find most enjoyable in this trade? I'm going to start a thread asking this to everyone. : )

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
This just made me wonder.. What type of work do you find most enjoyable in this trade? I'm going to start a thread asking this to everyone. : )
I like controls work. PLCs, relays, sensors, control panels, contactors, HMI, and connecting them all up to make stuff work.

And I like troubleshooting. My last job I got to do a good mix of electrical, hydraulic, and some mechanical troubleshooting, mixed in with design work.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,568 Posts
Welcome aboard ! Take a look at the old threads and you will get some good answers.

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the trade. I prefer residential service. Always something different and for troubleshooting it is great!

PS. Don't get sucked in by the horizontal plate screw barbarians. Stay vertical my friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts