Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had been holding out for the union to call but had a family friend-neighbor approach me a few months ago. Asked how I had been and what I had been up to. Told him of waiting to hear from the local union and starting an electrician apprenticeship. He said he had a project coming up (he owned a local engineering company and sold it to start up a solar panel company of sorts) and if I wanted to come check it out I was welcome to. I was very interested on many levels but a couple months went without hearing from him til today when he came over to talk to me.

He approached me as roughly the same way as before. Bascially coming down and checking it out everything and learning. I was honestly way excited to come check out the 'scene' because although I barely know a thing about electricity I am eager to learn more about it as my participation on the board here would prove I hope.

Anyway I was planning just to come down and check it out but at the end of the conversation it turned to more me coming down to work and he paying me my gas mileage and a very good rate for not knowing anything in the field and more or less being manual labor. I am super excited to finally get into the field and start learning even if it is just more observational at this point in time. Its basically going to me working a full shift then going to my other job at night for a week and a half (during this 'job') which will kick my ass but I couldn't be happier! My mom use to work at his engineering company quite a few years ago and knowing him if I bust my ass and prove my worth more work could come! He is one of those guys that like me, who loves to learn. I only hope I can learn from him as well as the professionals on the job for the short term I am in there and hopefully this is my foot in the door into the electrician career!

Thanks for reading my long rant! :thumbup:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
dont walk around with your head down or hands in your pockets.
if you are going to the shop to get smoko (or morning tea or lunch) make sure his order is made correctly. you will go along way if these things are done right!! :)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I have heard sometimes you want to screw it up so bad so they don't ask you to do it again.:laughing:

But thanks for the advice guys. :thumbsup:
TOTALY WRONG!!! You go untill you get it RIGHT!!!!

Then you go some more, just to make sure it was'nt a fluke!!!

Get it right the first time, and bring back the change. Even if from your own pocket. Thats the best and quickest way out of the duty.:whistling2:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Debatable in my mind I guess (no one likes a messed up order but everyone likes to harass a bit at the same time). But am sitting here after my first day at the job and also working my regular job and man am I sore. I spent the first 4 hours busting my ass lifting and carrying stuff to set up the solar panels including the panels themselves ($1000 a piece) as well as cement blocks and 20' stretches of support. All in all 4 hours of pain but I saw a guy with a marine shirt that read "pain is weakness exiting the body." I tried to keep that in my mind as motivation. :laughing:

I think I didn't drink enough water or stretch before and it messed up my muscles (cramping and spasms occured). After we moved all the supplies onto the roof (George W. Bush flew over us with several helicopters as security while we were doing this pretty cool).

I finally got to sample the electrical world after we finished. We got to setting up the system to trasfer the DC from the panels over to AC. I am trying to take some pictures but at the same time I only got two pictures today because I am trying my best to bust my ass and pay attention. So hopefully I will get a before, during, and after shot. I will say the true electrical work (of what I sampled) is a BLAST. I actually got to throw my input in (although I probably should have shut up haha) I guess a couple of times solutions to things jumped to me and I voiced my opinion and they listened and it was cool working together on ideas for the best solution. I am with a master electrician that is very patient and knowledgeable and another fairly new guy to the trade. It's a lot of fun and I am excited to go back tomorrow!:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.