Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in 2014 im taking the next step in my life and starting school to become an electrican....i wont be starting for at least another 6 months...what things can i study or brush up on to get me ready for school and the trade so im ahead of the game?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Read here.

Go to Mike Holt's site...his name is it's name :) and watch videos, read.

Buy a '14 NEC, but don't bother reading it cover to cover. The NEC is meant as a guide, not as literature. I would do this before going to MH's videos, so when they reference the code, you can look it up and see how it applies to what they're talking about.

I'd say watch videos on youtube of people doing electrical work, but some of the people on there have NO IDEA what they're doing, and that would just mess you up. So I guess you can, but be weary. If you find a video you think is questionable, bring it back here and someone can watch it and see what, if anything, is right or wrong with their techniques.

·
Registered
287 Posts
IMO.... all these forums are something to look at for fun and you can usually learn something new each time, but they are full of opinion and interpretation. I would start off looking at basic electrical theory. I think it's beneficial to know the theory behind what you are doing and why things are done in a certain manner. You can learn installation techniques as you are on the job with the journeyman and that is likely the best way to learn the hands on. Brush up on your math skills if they aren't great, you will use math quite a bit through apprenticeship course and on the job. I can't speak for everyone who has gone through some kind of formal education for electrical, but I'd say knowing Ohms law inside and out would be to your benefit, knowing some common electrical schematic symbols wouldn't hurt, look at basics of power distribution systems (transformers, switches, breakers etc). Here is a link to what I think is a pretty decent reference for the basics of a wide variety of stuff.... http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/Support/Training/101BasicsSeries/index.htm

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Check your library on line...

Go to Local Comm. College and check their books for sale.

Visit on Amazon when your ready to buy.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Mike Holt is great hope they use his stuff where you end up going to school....pictures are great on his site...welcome aboard kid....remember 2 got 2 ears and 1 mouth and you'll be fine.;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't know what kind of school you are going to be attending, but this is my opinion of starting in this trade. I have posted this before, and actually just posted it today in a different thread on this same topic that we have going here.

Here is a cut and paste of my rant on this subject from a thread a while back about these "schools"

If you are looking to get into the trade DO NOT waste any of your money or time on one of those "become an electrician in 18 months" schools. They are a scam and a waste of money. You will spend $20,000 and at the end of it all you will still start out with an electrical contractor as a first year apprentice no different than the kid that just graduated from high school with no experience.

The best way to go would be to get a job with an electrical contractor as a green apprentice and have them pay for you to go to school at night for your classroom hours. You will get on the job training during the day and any contractor worth working for will pay for your schooling. If the company you're interviewing with doesn't pay for their apprentices to go to school, look somewhere else because that is not a company you want to work for.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Whoever told you to hang around forums has got it right. If you're willing to listen and learn, you will learn a LOT from forums.

When you go out on the job and are given a task, you'll say to yourself "Wait a second, I remember them talking about this and they said how it's easy to do it this way".

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Become a plumber.they are in demand... this field has to many people in it already.

·
Registered
32,071 Posts
I don't know what kind of school you are going to be attending, but this is my opinion of starting in this trade. I have posted this before, and actually just posted it today in a different thread on this same topic that we have going here.

If you are looking to get into the trade DO NOT waste any of your money or time on one of those "become an electrician in 18 months" schools. They are a scam and a waste of money. You will spend $20,000 and at the end of it all you will still start out with an electrical contractor as a first year apprentice no different than the kid that just graduated from high school with no experience.

The best way to go would be to get a job with an electrical contractor as a green apprentice and have them pay for you to go to school at night for your classroom hours. You will get on the job training during the day and any contractor worth working for will pay for your schooling. If the company you're interviewing with doesn't pay for their apprentices to go to school, look somewhere else because that is not a company you want to work for.
"
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

LISTEN TO THIS GUY

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I did a 4 year apprenticeship through ABC. The union has a good program also. As mentioned earlier, avoid the 2 year tech school's electrician programs. I have 2 employees which went through these programs. They were promised a jmens card in 2 years of employment. Too bad the state does not officially recognize their training program. I called their school and asked why they wasted 2 years and thousands of dollars of theirs. He did not have a good answer, just got defensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts