Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in. I am very new the trade and looking to become registered. It seems like next to impossible to get first year work with no experience :( I live in Red Deer, Alberta!

I was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to get into the trade and actually start getting some experience?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey everyone,

My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in. I am very new the trade and looking to become registered. It seems like next to impossible to get first year work with no experience :( I live in Red Deer, Alberta!

I was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to get into the trade and actually start getting some experience?

no need to apologize sir,you are on the right forum,though Iam not from Alberta.there are many guys here who are from your area and they will be glad to help just hang on.
oh! and by the way welcome to the forum.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Resume Tips and tricks #1:

If you're a genius with a lot of education behind you, omit almost all of it.
If you're a dumbass with no education, make something up.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey everyone,

Knock on doors and talk to as many electricians as you can, tell them what you want to do and how you will be a good worker, you're selling a product, in this case the product is your labor, don't take no for an answer, before you know it you will be working.

Everything we do in life seems impossible until we overcome those obstructions that we all face every day,,,,,never give up !

Good luck and Welcome to ET......:thumbup:

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
Search it on this site. Lots of discussion already. Should be some opportunities for you in Dead Rear if you're persistent.

·
Registered
948 Posts
He's just never gotten over his parents naming him kg7879. Just smile and nod
Lol.

Every journeyman I had my first and second year told me to get out of the trade. I thought they were being negative. Now I know why they said that and I now I tell every first year apprentice I work with to get out of the trade.

In my opinion there are just better ways to make money and doing this trade when you start to get up there in age will be brutal.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Lol.

Every journeyman I had my first and second year told me to get out of the trade. I thought they were being negative. Now I know why they said that and I now I tell every first year apprentice I work with to get out of the trade.

In my opinion there are just better ways to make money and doing this trade when you start to get up there in age will be brutal.
You do have a point. Working in any of the trades can suck donkeys at times.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
You do have a point. Working in any of the trades can suck donkeys at times.
Not as bad as the ceiling guys who are behind and now have to build steelstud bulkheads around the iron beams and across the deck and insulate and line it with drywall after the ducts, tray and plumbing has already been put in, they walked off today. Ill post pics tommorow, Id punch someone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I agree with it could probably be ****ty at times, but it has to be a lot better than working in the oilfield for a living?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sign up for Geo thermal, photovoltaic courses and study products for either field and become a consultant. Get the hands on knowledge while your young. GL

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Its a good trade... dont let these mutton heads fool you.. lots of people are just miserable no matter what they do. If they hate it so much why do they spend their free time on an electrical forum.
The trade is like anything in life, you get what ever you put into it..

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Lol.

:rolleyes:

Over 39 years in the electrical trade, I've made a good living, sure sometimes it's hard work, but that's why it pays well.

I know many who went to college and at times in their lives, "made big bucks" but those occupations disappear without warning and find themselves trying to support the big boy lifestyle and unable to find a job that pays "the big bucks" like before, because they do not have the skills for today's occupations, so they wind up losing all of their toys, the big house and go bankrupt, then find themselves scrubbing toilets for a living, because they cannot find a good paying job in today's economy.

The electrical trade is not going away anytime soon and it's an occupation that requires the ability to work hard on your feet all day and at the same time learn all the skills that it takes to get the job done.

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
Lol.

Absolutely untrue. I don't do the bull work I did when I was younger but the physical aspect of this job is great. I spent a number of years in the rep business. Half my time was spent in front of a computer and the other half was driving around schmoozing people. It's a great way to get fat and out of shape. Now I get my exercise on the job. That's why I like the renovation gigs - a little bit of physical activity and warm in the winter.

The only downside is repetitive motion injuries but I have had trigger thumb since I was an apprentice.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ya I agree with it could probably be ****ty at times, but it has to be a lot better than working in the oilfield for a living?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your only alternative is working in a oilfield, then yes this trade is better.

I do not know what your plans are but unless you can get on a with company doing maintenance after your apprenticeship then you will always face the volatility of construction.

Construction is either feast or famine. Construction is the first thing to go in a recession and the last industry to come back. You are potentially always working yourself out a job because that is the nature of building things. Once they are done they are done. Constant growth in the economy always has to happen to move on to the next project.

Now I know there will be guys on here that will say they have had a job and have been with the same company for twenty years or thirty years and they are absolutely right, but they are in the minority.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts