Electrician Talk banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts
I love the union Gus who try and defend Davis Beacon as being good for anyone but them and protecting a small part of thier even smaller market. This is one of the reasons many municipalities and even state government do lease back when they need s new building.
Are we still ignoring the fact that the majority of PW work is done by open shop contractors. Its the whole reason why the ABC even exists.

Are we still ignoring the fact that the majority of PW work is done by open shop contractors. Its the whole reason why the ABC even exists.
The unions are just loosing this market but they will milk it for all it's worth . Davis beacon simply needs to be ended for both union and non union.let the free market do what it does best.

The unions are just loosing this market but they will milk it for all it's worth . Davis beacon simply needs to be ended for both union and non union.let the free market do what it does best.
So you agree with me that the majority of Public works is done by open shop contractors?

So you read the union version or the truth:whistling2::whistling2:
How did this topic go from starting a union shop to debating the pros and cons of Davis Bacon? I think if the OP wanted to start an open shop, he would. Right?

I am interested in starting a union shop myself, and this is a very needed topic here. It appears some posters have no interest in adding anything constructive, (pun intended) and are only interested in anti-union poop-slinging.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people despise unions. :icon_rolleyes:

How did this topic go from starting a union shop to debating the pros and cons of Davis Bacon? I think if the OP wanted to start an open shop, he would. Right?

I am interested in starting a union shop myself, and this is a very needed topic here. It appears some posters have no interest in adding anything constructive, (pun intended) and are only interested in anti-union poop-slinging.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people despise unions. :icon_rolleyes:
108 post and you think the topic will never change? I don't despise unions I just despise being forced to have my tax dollars pay more for a project just because it falls under an antiquated law. With an ever decreasing market share I do not see any advantage to the contractor.

Discussion starter · #110 ·
007 said:
108 post and you think the topic will never change? I don't despise unions I just despise being forced to have my tax dollars pay more for a project just because it falls under an antiquated law. With an ever decreasing market share I do not see any advantage to the contractor.
I think the advantage to the contractor is a skilled workforce. The security and well-being of their workers at home and the job add value to his company and reputation due to a sustained positive and productive crew. In turn the contractor reaps rewards manifold.

I think the advantage to the contractor is a skilled workforce. The security and well-being of their workers at home and the job add value to his company and reputation due to a sustained positive and productive crew. In turn the contractor reaps rewards manifold.
I believe that, like communism, that's a great theory....but reality doesn't always agree with theory.

Can't tell you how many "qualified" journeymen we've employed over the years who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

The union needs to uphold their end of the bargain.

And we have all of this without being union ,so what would be an advantage?

I have not seen any hard data so I cannot agree or disagree.
I'm sure something is floating around google but lets just put this out there for the sake of argument. We can all agree that nationally non union market share is around 90% right?
AND with something like 26 States being Right to Work States those markets have little or no union density coupled with no PW rates on at least the state funded level wouldn't it be atleast a safe assumption that open shops have more influence on PW then union shops in the majority of the market?

Do you think that is a fair assessment?

I'm sure something is floating around google but lets just put this out there for the sake of argument. We can all agree that nationally non union market share is around 90% right?
AND with something like 26 States being Right to Work States those markets have little or no union density coupled with no PW rates on at least the state funded level wouldn't it be atleast a safe assumption that open shops have more influence on PW then union shops in the majority of the market?

Do you think that is a fair assessment?
No. The vast majority of non union shops do not send reports to the national labor board and often the wage is set to union scale even with reports submitted.
http://www.psrf.org/issues/prevailing.jsp

Discussion starter · #118 ·
007 said:
And we have all of this without being union ,so what would be an advantage?
What do you have in the non-union? If what you claim you have is so true why do non-union electricians want to be union electricians.

The question that started this thread was how to start a UNION shop not non union shop.

No. The vast majority of non union shops do not send reports to the national labor board and often the wage is set to union scale even with reports submitted.
http://www.psrf.org/issues/prevailing.jsp
It cannot be the vast majority since the majority of States are now RTW. And the example given in the article is Oregon which has high union density, obviously the exception and not the rule.
Also, if open shop contractors are not submitting wage reports (which I agree with you) then they have no one to blame but themselves. Again bringing me back to the fact that non union play a bigger role in PW then portrayed.

What do you have in the non-union? If what you claim you have is so true why do non-union electricians want to be union electricians.

The question that started this thread was how to start a UNION shop not non union shop.
Freedom to run our business the way we choose and not be told by a union how we will run our business. I don't see a lot of guys running to sign up at the hall and sit with hundreds of other out of work guys. Many union shops want to drop out to become more competitive in thier market.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.